Xantia Radiator Fan Removal, Series II

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Xantia Radiator Fan Removal, Series II

Post by addo »

Just a few notes for others who may in future tread this path.

If you remove the upper fan shroud (two press-in clips and two Torx screws) it is possible to then remove the fans with minimal dismantling.

Remember the fan hub is a left-hand thread fixing and don't lose the conical star washer with its screw. Remove the fan blades/hub moulding and set it aside.

Take a cheap 10mm ¼" drive socket of the standard (short) variety. Using a bench grinder, grind the driven end exterior into a 12mm hex pattern, about ¼" down the sides of it. I quenched it regularly in a pot of water to keep the temperature down. Check the hex formed, fits positively in a 12mm ring spanner, and adjust as required. Deburr the ground area.

Now carefully reach behind the fan motor mount stud and slip the socket onto a nut. Loosen using one of those fine ratcheting ring spanners with no "cranking" to the end of it. Note the nut is a deformed self-locking type, and will need ratcheting 85% of the way off.

Remove the uppermost two nuts first, as they are easiest (most finger room). Then ease the socket onto the lower nut and as it's being loosened start to withdraw the fan motor forwards. No bumpers off, no lying on the ground - easy!

RITROR

Cheers, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Adam :D Threads like this are worth their weight in gold.

This procedure is also fully applicable to the MK1. All you need to do on the MK1 is to remove the grille (Two Poppers on top, two Torx is the slats and two under each indicator lens and then after doing your trick with the ground-down 10mm socket, they'll just and just ease out without having to touch the shroud...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Thanks Adam, definitely worth it's weight in gold. I have been putting off replacement of a dud fan thinking I would have to dismantle half the car. Did it today using your method. Took me an hour and was a doddle.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.