MK2 C5 brief loss of power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mop
My Cars:

Post by mop »

HI
This has happened twice now after breaking then accelerating there was a bleep and the display reads.
Engine Man Fault for a sec then goes back to normal.
When I hit the accelerator again power was back gave me a bit of a scare.

1st time - I was slowing down reaching a roundabout with lights as I got closer the lights changed accelerated and got the brief loss of power.

2nd Time was joining a busy motorway when I wash flashed to be let in accelarated and got the power loss.

seems as if the engine is going to idle. there was week between each event.

The Car is 3 year old and 15,000 mile
05 C5
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is your C5 still covered by warranty ?
Then you should immediately report back to your dealer and have him test the car.

The message "Engine Man Fault" is a general fault message indication any malfunction. There is no leader to what the problem actually is, unless a specific error code is stored in the engine management computer.
This error code can only be read out by a special code reader, and only if any error code is stored at all, which is often the problem with glitches.

You dont mention the engine type/designation/model of your C5 ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mop
My Cars:

Post by mop »

Thanks for the reply Anders DK

It's a 1.6 HDI Design

I have tried to get it to do it again and found that if I have my foot hit both break and accelerator at the same time you get the same fault.
05 C5
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mop wrote:I have tried to get it to do it again and found that if I have my foot hit both break and accelerator at the same time you get the same fault.
I have a feeling that's normal for it do do it under those circumstances as braking and accelerating at the same time is illogical to the ECU and it flags an error for safety reasons.

In some vehicles, I believe the brake light switch/sensor on the brake pedal is the culprit. The brake light switch stays on even though your foot is off and as you accellerate the ECU says "Whoa There!" and flags up a fault.

Worth checking the brake light switch..

Is it not one of the Pug family that throws up this issue on a regular basis?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mop
My Cars:

Post by mop »

I think you might be right Jim as I had an earlier problem.

While parked and engine running I noticed the brake lights were not coming on so I tapped the pedal a few times and no lights,
I then pushed the pedal as far down as it would go,
went nearly went to the floor I got a bleep and a warning message saying
INFO ESP/ASR SYSTEM Faulty and the ESP/ASR light comes on the dash and the pedal is very spongy.

I took the switch out cleaned it and reset it a couple of times while waiting for a new switch to arrive (under £5) it started working and had done for the last 2 months the switch is for both Pug & Citroen so chances are it is.
Will fit the new one and see if it happens again and will post.
05 C5
mop
My Cars:

Post by mop »

Well 2 weeks of testing since fitting new break switch and problem has not come back :D .
05 C5
coolscan

Post by coolscan »

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix? I have had identical thing several times, so far unresolved. 2.2 Hdi TT 2007.
mop, any recurrence since fitting new switch?
Regards, Coolscan.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Thats the first problem with the 2.2 HDI twin turbo i've heard of.

Lovely engine.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
mop
My Cars:

Re: MK2 C5 brief loss of power

Post by mop »

coolscan wrote:Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what was the fix? I have had identical thing several times, so far unresolved. 2.2 Hdi TT 2007.
mop, any recurrence since fitting new switch?
Regards, Coolscan.
Thats 6 weeks now and no problems
05 C5
coolscan

MK 2 C5 brief loss of power

Post by coolscan »

Thank you for that, mop. Seems to have solved your problem.
Has anyone else had this, please?

I have had it several times, and the circumstances are always as you describe. It is always after coasting almost to a stop after braking, then accelerating. It has never occurred after braking / accelerating in other driving situations. It is now less frequent than it was. I am unable to reproduce it by braking and accelerating at the same time.

Bencowell, it is indeed a nice engine/drivetrain. I do not think this problem relates to the engine though, but to its management system.

Regards, Coolscan.