Something happening to my clutch, but is it good or bad?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

Something happening to my clutch, but is it good or bad?

Post by jonathan_dyane »

My Xantia has the high biting point and heaviness that usually suggest that your clutch clip is at risk and you could do with replacing the clutch.

However, yesterday as I was driving in traffic I depressed the clutch and felt a click or graunching sensation, and immediately thought 'oh feck, there goes the clutch clip' but yet seemingly it was not the clip, and by the time I reached my destination not only had the clip not snapped, but the clutch was now by and large nice and light; exactly as a Xantia clutch should feel, although *occasionally* when depressed it still has it's previous stiffness...

Fairly bizarre presentation, would be interested to hear if anyone has had this before, I'm speculating that the clutch cable is fraying or somehow crimped, and this is the prelude to it snapping, but would love to be wrong; I'm pretty sure that replacing the cable won't be the 15min job that it was in my 205D...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

Is it the auto adjusting cable? Mine adjusts at random after clutch change.

Is there any way of resetting the mechanism, Like on the renaults where you can slip the ratchet?
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

'96 is a bit old to have the auto-adjuster, I would have thought. Likely wrong though. You can tell easily if the end of the clutch cable has two nuts at the clutch end than it's a manual and if it just ends in a flat plate it's an auto.

It might be possible to retrofit a manual cable...

No, Jonathan, its NOt a 15 minute job on a Xantia :twisted:

Another cause might be the nylon clutch fork axle bushes or the release bearing is a bit iffy.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

jonathan,

Sounds like your release arm bushes are getting worn a bit this in turn puts a strain on the clip so depending wether or not you have the modified stronger clip its hard to say what the cause could be, sometimes this can simply be remedied by fitting a new cable,

my old cable had a clear nylon kind of shrink wrap around the cable this over time caused friction with the outer casing.

you could clamber underneath and check there are no kinks or holes in the cable casing, I am not aware of the ability to release the rachet without removing the cable completely, the rachet seems to be a sealed unit and much of it plastic. it must reset when you remove it for a clutch change etc.

My Dads xantia VSX P-reg has a manual adjust cable much like the BX used to have and it is definately manually adjustable and a lot less hassle than my xantia 1998 Mk2. which can take about an hour and a half to replace, I hope youve got small hands to push the cable through the bulkhead, you will find it easier with two people, fit the pedal end first pushing the cable through from the gearbox end, don a brite light or torch and clamber down to the foot well for a close look at the clutch clip, I use a mirror and lay it under the pedals at an angle then shine my torch into the mirror this lights up the bulk head and clutch clip quite well.

Beware of dodgy clutch cables with nipples that snap off sold for peugeots and citroens by auto factors, if your replacing one probably better to get one from a citroen main dealer. the actual clutch clip is around a tenner so probably worth replacing that to and its an experience you'll never forget a 13mm rachet ring spanner makes all the difference in the world.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Well, I've just had an investigate (and now have the regulation twisted back, sore kidney and headache from lying in the footwell...) and found that the cable is indeed the manual adjusting type. However, looking at the pedal boxes I discovered that behind the clutch clip was a quantity of mangled-looking sound deadening/insulation material, which looked as if it had been on a voyage of discovery into the cup through where the cable emerges into the car interior, perhaps having been disturbed in the past when the clip was replaced, and then catching on the clip with the pedal depressed, then on release being pulled into the cup-thing, where it may have restricted the cable.

I spent some time with a screw driver and needle-nose pliers removing as much of the material as I could, and now it looks as if it can no longer become caught up. Clutch is currently still nice and light; I do hope it stays that way...
Jonathan
1986 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5
1979 GS 1220 Club Estate awaiting more welding
1952 David Brown 30D awaiting new liners
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Jonathan :D Always good when it turns out to be something external to the clutch!

I know what you mean about sore kidneys, twisted back and so on. Take care as it's possible to get trapped in that position :twisted:

My girls once arrived home from school to see my feet resting on a Xantia roof liining and wondering what was going on :lol: :lol: You do have to get in some funny old positions for a clutch clip job... I hate them.

It's one reason most of my fleet are free of them but in freeing myself of clutch clips and going for the hydraulic/automatic option brings more issues than ever a clutch clip would....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...