C3 "Valve Timing Component" recall.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

C3 "Valve Timing Component" recall.

Post by David W »

Sorry if you've seen this before on any other forum but I really want to get some information so am asking in several areas.
I've just received a mail from a friend who asks if I've head about this recall on his C3 16V diesel, bought new Nov'02....
"a Citroen recall 'to replace certain components of the valve timing mechanism. The operation is considered essential and the vehicle will be required for a maximum of two days"
I hadn't but investigation amongst C3 owners seems to point to a narrow band of chassis numbers being affected. The work is suspected to relate to replacing the camshafts after a hardening/wear issue. However I've only hearsay and no real evidence. The dealers are giving very little away.
Any ideas?
David
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Sounds jolly fishy to me. Citroen expressing interest in a customer problem? I would imagine that they have accidentally made a batch of solid gold camshafts and wish to recover them all before anybody finds out. Of course I am not being cynical. If I was, I would say it was to avoid the VAT on the imported gold
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the recall involves replacing the camshaft chain,tensioner & the exhuast camshaft.these parts are apparently wearing prematurely.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

What was the source for that info Wheeler? Citroen dealer/mechanic?
David
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

from dealer.if they do work to your car due to a recall i'm sure if you ask them what was done/replaced they will tell you.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Thanks Wheeler.
By chance I was shown a copy of the Citroen TSB covering this work yesterday.
Main parts as you say plus a load of smaller sundries and about a days labour for them.
The chap who showed me said they are being discouraged from speaking about it to the owners/public. Suppose that will vary from dealer to dealer though.
Silly really because Citroen are standing by the problem and that is all you want in a new car.
David