Xantia coolant leak after cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaExclusiveHDI
My Cars: Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon - I can't seem to let her go!

Xantia coolant leak after cambelt change

Post by XantiaExclusiveHDI »

I've recently had my cambelt changed on my Xantia 2.0 HDI. Ever since Ive been loosing coolant somewhere... :evil:

I've filled the expansion bottle up twice now in four weeks. I've just had it up on a ramp today to have a look underneath. The leak looks to be coming from somewhere on the waterpump side - but from the backside of what I think is the cambelt cover? I also found THREE bolts which were a good 10mm loose! They look to be what secures the cambelt cover. I can't be sure as I don't know the engine well enough. I managed to tighten only one. There is one further up above a coolant pipe. Is there any likelyhood changing the cambelt and having these loose bolts would cause a coolant leak?!

Thanks!

C.
Currently:
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive Saloon (73k)
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Quite possibly if the water pump has been disturbed.....have you spoken to the garage that did the work? I would get them to have a look.

You want to minimise the chance of coolant leaks...the less pressure you have in your coolant, the more you head towards overheating and head gasket failure :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Hi Vince

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - I've spoken to them but they are saying it's the water pump that has gone. I definately had no coolant issues before having the belt changed :x
I only noticed about two weeks after the belt change when the low coolant light lit up. I filled the expansion bottle and it emptied within another two - three weeks. That along with the three loose bolts - bit too much a coincidence for my liking...
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

This is because if you have less pressure in you cooling system it will boil up easier.

Pressure in the cooling system raises the boiling point of the water.

Also the antifreeze will dilute while it's leaking, and being topped up increasing the risk of cavitation.

A detailed explanation of cavitation can be found here.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of the main reasons for fitting a new water pump when changing the cambelt!

They are recognised as being likely to fail one way or another after the new cambelt is fitted. A new water pump helps to avoid such issues and if it goes wrong anyway it is clearly upon the workshop doing the service to fix any such problems.

It is likely the pump was worn and would probably have started to leak anyway, but not for another few thousand miles. The change, likely an increase - in tension has probably upset it.

As Vince says, leaks usually result in much more serious problems if left unattended.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Ah synchronised posting XantiaExclusiveHDI! :)

I saw the effects of cavitation on a non Citroen vehicle where the cavitation had affected the water pump impeller blades, and the housing behind them, turning the housing porous.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

One other thing to note is that there is a cambelt cover bolt that also retains the coolant pump. You mention loose bolts so this could be worth looking at. IIRC from when I did mine it is an 11mm headed bolt

As mentioned, always do waterpump change with cambelt change. I would get it sorted. If you don't, you run the risk of pump seizure and engine overheating and I don't fancy what anti-freeze will do to the belt itself.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

This happened to my xantia petrol model (1.8 16valve), the garage changed the timing belt kit (dayco brand) and within 3-4 months the old water pump started leaking- virtually a couple of litres a day. I think it was the new belt and tensioner which may have placed extra force on the water pump.

Bizarrely the more i drove the slower the leak became (maybe the pump realigned itself) and after a few weeks the pump would not leak whilst driving only when it was left for a period of time (such a overnight) and there would be a small puddle in the morning- but it became a small leak.

I sold the car to a garage as i brought the Xsara- the garage had a half mile drive, gave me the money and i ran!
Last edited by _kid_ on 13 Mar 2009, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

For the sake of 25 quid ALWAYS fit a pump when the belt is off! Its not worth the effort otherwise!!

I did a Belt on a 73k Xantia HDi and immidieatly after tensioning it all up, pop went the pump, and the water streamed from behind the pully...

Regards
Paul
Last edited by citroenxm on 14 Mar 2009, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Always change the water pump when the belt is changed.
The tensioners can usually cope with a change every other belt, but the water pump needs changing every time.
That's owner's knowledge (ie gained from owning the car and people posting on here) so a garage may not know about it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Oh well, at least you diagnosed the problem. Not to worry though, they are not dear and no more problematic than BMW's or VW's which seem to eat water pumps for fun.....I know i sell them :wink:

Try to get one with a metal impeller when you buy one. If not then a composite impeller will have to do. It only needs to last 70K or so until the belt needs doing again.

Im getting my belt done probably later on this year so thanks to this thread i will be doing the water pump also :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Hey

Thanks everyone. Another melting pot of information without which I would be lost!
I had thought about doing the job myslef. I'm reasonably proficient - but never attempted a job like this before.
I'm loathed to spend another £££ to get it done.

Is it something that can be carried out by oneself - are any special tools required?

Cheers

C.
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

It's simple enough if you take your time. I managed my own, had a few issues but I seem to get them whatever I do :lol:

Special tools: You will need a square section wrench for the aux belt and cambelt tensioners. I got an old door handle rod, cut it down to a suitable length and then used an 8mm spanner on that and it worked fairly well. Other thing is locking tools, For the aux belt auto tensioner I just used a long allen key to hold it. The camshaft sprocket, I used an 8mm drill bit and for the flywheel I used an allen key (the right angled nature of them making it a bit easier). The HP pump does not need to be timed on the HDi

One thing to note, cambelt tension - the longest run is the top between the camshaft sprocket and the HP pump, set this so you can just turn it 90 degrees (gently) when cold. What I then did (thanks to a tip from Jim) is to leave the engine running an hour and recheck the tension when hot, keep an ear out as if it's too tight, it'll squeal

As I say, take your time, working methodically and it can be done. A BoL will actually help rather well with this job.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
XantiaExclusiveHDI

Hi Toby

Thanks for that. I had a look in Haynes and the procedure looks quite complex for the HDI :?
It suggest the engine mounts will have to be removed in order for the engine to be lifted / lowered to gain access to some of the bolts :o

I don't have the equipment for that and now I don't feel confident enough to do the job :cry:

How did you manage with reaching these bolts?
Currently:
Previously:
BX 19 TZD Turbo
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

You just need a trolly jack to raise and lower the engine.
Remove the engine mount on the driver's side.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool