Citroen Xsara - no sidelight, dipped/full beam fine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Alexis27

Citroen Xsara - no sidelight, dipped/full beam fine

Post by Alexis27 »

One of the headlights on my 98 Xsara was stuck on sidelight, so I bought a new pair of bulbs.

Both work fine on dipped and full beam, but bizarrely one of them doesn't work on sidelight - it is completely off.

I've tried swapping the bulbs, but the right light still only works on dipped/full.

Twiddling the wires doesn't have any effect.

Seems an odd one - I've only come across lights that work on side and not full before, but this is the opposite.

Any ideas? The car takes H4 single bulbs.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums Alexis27.

Surely the H4 is dipped/main beam and the sidelight a separate bulb altogether? Or if the lights are like mine dipped/fog and separate main beam and sidelight bulbs.

I have seen instances of malfunction where the bulbs have been incorrectly inserted into the bayonet fitting, particularly some types of rear lamp/brake/rear foglamp bulbs.

Yours looks to me as though it may be a bad earth somewhere though, check the grounding points for loose connections, broken wires and corrosion.
Alexis27

Post by Alexis27 »

Hi!

I think the facelifted Xsara has two separate bulbs, but the pre 2000 ones have a single H4 bulb for dipped/full and dimmed.

I'll have a check around again to see if anything's amiss. At least the full lights work - I can live without them dimming.