Xsara Rear beam question...PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Xsara Rear beam question...PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Does anybody know if the rear beam from a ZX is the same as on the Xsara? Does it matter if one has disc brakes and the other drums? Can these items be swapped over easily?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as i am getting rather concerned about the issues I am having with knocking coming from the back of my daily driver, particulary as i drive on a variety of fast paced A roads and the motorway each day.
Last edited by Nuneatonrob on 14 Mar 2009, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rob,

I guess it is and the 306 one should be very similar too. be mindful that different models have varying spring rates and ARBs though. You need to check if the mountings are in the same places and if they are, it'll be a direct swap. A tape measure and a good eye should be sufficient.

My knowledge of beams is pretty much restricted to 205s but on those, the only difference between drum braked and disc braked models was different stub-axles. It is possible to press the old stub axles out of one and put them in another but after years of corrosion, it may not be an easy job. The stub axles are held into the trailing arm on splines and a C clip, much like a CV joint.

I presume your trailing arm needle rollers have failed and you have negative camber (/ \) on your wheels. Again it is possible to replace your needle rollers but corrosion and the distinct possibility that the failure has worn the bearing journals in the tube oval thereby making it scrap. Also, after years of corrosion, getting a beam apart can be a right 'mare. Much better to find a good 'un if you can.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara Rear beam question

Post by CitroJim »

Nuneatonrob wrote: ...rather concerned about the issues I am having with knocking coming from the back...
Before you condemm the beam Rob, have you checked the rear sandwich mounts are OK? These can fail invisibly and the only sure way to ckeck them is to try levering them apart.

Sorry for the second post. I thought about that possibility after submitting my first reply.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

I just had my Xsara beam changed- it went rock hard at the rear although it passed a mot with no problems and the rear tyres were upright- i think the bearings must have seized. As a guide price the replacement beam was £80,fom a 2002 model with around 50k miles.

Re you car im guessing as your Xsara is a 99 model it will have abs, so i believe you need one with abs fitted. Most 306 beams will also fit.

Yes you can change from drum to disc but you will need new handbrake cables plus the calipers from the disc beam. I also think the disc beams were only fitted to the sportier models so may be a little stiffer set up.

The only other thing to note is if you have a beam from a later model Xsara (i.e. mark 2) they don’t have a brake compensator valve so this will need changing over from your old beam- other than that i think the changeover is (as Haynes manual would say) refitting is the opposite of removal.

If your rear suspension has good bounce and the tyres are upright maybe it’s not your beam. Could just be the rubber beam mounts- as these can cause knocking.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Also what is the condition of the zx beam? Because the older the beam the higher the chance it may be knackered too. On ebay there are some Xsaras which are breaking.
I would only buy a beam from a latter Xsara or 306. It took me a while to source mine but they are out there.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks so much for the replies guys. It's such a help believe me!!

I have had a good look, and the back end seems to be firm, but not impossible to move. The ride is still pleasant, Apart from the thumping sound.. My car has rear discs fitted and ABS.

I have checked the rear wheels, and to me they look to be standing upright, no evidence of incorrect camber as far as I can tell. (standing a few feet back crouching down in the works car park this afternoon!) I tried using my hand as a rough measurement aid to check the distance between the top of the wheel and arch on both sides, and they seem to be very similar to me, so I am beginning to form the opinion that it is the rear mount bushes.

Although they 'appear' to be OK, I have not as yet tried prising them away from the body with it jacked up.

I think my next course of action is to replace all the mounts, and see what happens. Worst case, is I'll still need to replace something, but can at least rule out the mounts.

I have spotted a 53 plate Xsara mk2 in a scrapyard in Birmingham, a VTS or VTR 3 door model, that is crash damaged scrap, so I may see if the rear beam can be removed from that, just in case I need it.

The ZX I was referring to is a M plate 1.9D and has over a 160k on the clock. As much as Id like to put that car back on the road, I fear it has terminal corrosion round both chassis strut tops, as it's breaking up along the inner wing. That pretty much makes it as good as scrap in my eyes now. As a side note, I can break that for spares if anyone is interested in anything. Engine is sweet.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's probably the front mounts, degredation of which is not so obvious - till you get them off. Notes on changing the mounts (including a pic of the knackered mount) here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23055

When they've gone you get a heavy knocking sound from the rear, and a tendency for the back end to 'squrim' if you hit a bump mid corner. Mounts are doable in a morning if it goes OK, and not that expensive, so worth a punt. At least you will be practised if you do have to change the subframe....!
Richard W
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks very much for all the input folks.

I think I will change the mounts and go from there, and report back the results.

As you say Richard, it will teach me the fine art of how the rear beam is removed, if nothing else.

Cheers,

All the best,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

RESULT!!!!

Post by Nuneatonrob »

The knocking sound is sorted!!!!!!

I just wanted to let you know what the issue obviously was, for any other member that may have the issue in future.

I have replaced all 4 mounts on the rear sub frame, and oh my, what a difference!!!!

It has to be said that the rubber mounts 'looked' to be fine. I even tried prising the sub frame down and it didn't move much, leading me to think at first they were OK.

The car now goes over bumps as it should, and does not knock at all. I am so pleased!!

I followed the guide in the links above, (Very thorough and spot on information) and it was reasonably easy to do. All in it took me about 4 hours from start to finish.

The mounts cost £63 from GSF and are well worth it. It is quiet and refined, and drives like it always should have now.

Thank you to those that have assisted me via the forum to get this issue sorted.

Yet again, it has proved to me how invaluable this site and it's knowledgeable members are!!!

Thanks again chaps, all the best!

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Rob :D
Jim