Xantia 1.9td 1998 s1 clutch replacement.........Aargh

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

I always change spigot bearing as if it fails it does muck up works
xantia 19td estate 96-7
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

No spigot bearing on a Xantia :lol: and you can't change it with the box in place.... 8)

Anyway, changing the cable involves disconnecting the clip at the pedal - and I reckon the only way for that is pedal out with all that entails :twisted: There's surprisingly good room down the back of the engine however! I think you can change the top nylon bush with the box in place - you will need to remove the release arm though - If this is worn there is usually play in the shaft if you wiggle it. the judder might be the bottom engine mount gone soft. When worn (in the friction plate department anyway!) these clutches come in high up the pedal, and will slip with just the slightest pressure on the pedal. Of course they just go heavy over time, which might be considered 'wear' - I changed the clutch in our ZX TD becuase it was fearsomely heavy, although once out the friction plate was less than 50% worn.
Richard W
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Richard thats really helpful

Obviously a clutch will wear/get heavy over a period of time its just the way the cable cable seems to jerk with the engine off that made me think the cable itself may have stretched/snagged on something.

I have tried to pull away with the handbrake on and high revs and all it does is stall no noticable increase is revs which i would expect to see if the clutch was slipping(obviously only done as a test but cant legislate for SWMBO :lol: )

Is having to remove the release arm a major problem ie will it need readjusting or am i likely to have the self adjusting clutch :? :?

Colin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

No major problem - 'just' pull the pin out, and the arm should lift off. Some give problems, but if it won't come off, then just leave it. Shouldn't make any difference if it's manual or auto adjust - you will need to adust the new cable anyway - easy to check for auto adjust - if the end of the cable has no thread and nuts on it, it's auto adjust. Just remember that this is an inside out clutch, and it's the OUTER of the cable moving the release arm that does the work :twisted: The notchy feel may be the clutch cable, but it could equally be wear / friction on the input shaft bush the release bearing slides along - the one we changed on our ZX was pretty rusty and scored. Changing the cable is (a bit!) easier than changing the clutch.....
Richard W
Brigsygtt
My Cars:

Post by Brigsygtt »

If the clutch aint slipping id leave it be! Test it up a big hill with the hammer down, it will slip at peak torque if its had it.

The judder is probably worn clutch/pressure plate imo, mine doen exactly the same.
97 Xantia 1.9 td lx with a/c (Daily, 172K, FOR SALE)
98 Xantia Hdi Lx with a/c (105k)
97 Renault Extra (c1j turbo 230+hp, 12.88@106)
91 Renault 5 Gt turbo (68k minter)
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

admiral51 wrote:
Although the clutch feels heavy there is no slippage and it judders slightly on release the pedal itself feels notchy on release even with the engine off.
I have had a quick look tonight and the cable gearbox end seems a little jerky when the pedal is released (yes assistant required

Colin
Colin, sounds just like my car was.('99 T reg mk 2). It was my mates car,no slippage,but judder on parking etc. Then,one day, BANG! no clutch,pedal on the floor.
Long story short - release bearing was dry/worn (170,000mile clutch),exploded! On inspection the friction plate was still ok.mate got new GSF clutch,with new release bearing,pressure plate, (£125 iirc). We got it all back together fine (the g/box) but had problems with the hydraulic 'sealed', yeah right :roll: clutch system. So my mate got fed up / needed a car, so bought summat else, so I bought his.
(see my next post,clutch kaputt :P )

My point is,after having fraud mundanoes etc,which require half the car,subframe,zorst etc to be dismembered before you can even get to the g/box :shock: :evil: :evil:
...if u'r quite handy with a spanner (or just a tight Yorkshire g!t like myself :mrgreen: ), you'll be surprised how easy it is to do it yourself. Take it steady,methodically,plenty brews,with a mate/helper :D . Hardest bit is waggling the 'box off / on. And we had to make the 'special' tool :roll: ,for the release bearing re assembly,just snaps back on;weld a nut onto a bar + grinder = special tool :mrgreen:
No crane etc, just 2 trolley jacks.
Oh and remember the LHM box thingy pipe arrangement,take a picture.Take both drive shafts out too.
Grease the 'box splines slightly, clutch is smooooooooooth as silk now :D :D

Seriously, just take your time and it's not as scary as you'd think.In fact the more you think about it the scarier it gets :?

Wish I'd seen this before we started!
Jims post:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23322

From here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=11 is this the famous BOL everyone keeps banging on about?!!

Good luck mate, keep us posted (can't find a thumbs up smilie :mrgreen: )
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

The 1.9TD clutch is a bit different to the HDi 110 - although the same in principal (pull operation rather than push) the 1.9TD is cable operated and the relase bearing is fixed to pressure plate. No need for a special tool on re-assembly - you just make sure the release fork fingers are in the right place and they slide in behind the release bearing as you push the box home - easy. Ish.....

People are funny about clutches - they put up with poor operation (heavy, juddering, slight slip, low / high biting points) whereas in reality fitting a new one is not that hard or (generally) that expensive, and doing so transforms the driving experience of the car.

PS BOL = Book of lies - aka Haynes Manual
Richard W