Pesky Xantia rear caliper bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Reminded of this thread while "picking" some bolts off a '96 scrapper saloon. Sweet FA corrosion; they would be easily good for another round.

Can post if anyone gets in a bind again.

Also scrapped a PERFECT spare wheel tray from the same car. Just needed a wash. :|
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Pesky Xantia rear caliper bolts

Post by CitroJim »

Stop making us jealous Adam :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Pesky Xantia rear caliper bolts

Post by Old-Guy »

CitroJim wrote:
Old-Guy wrote: Tidying up in my 'office' at home on Monday while the rain poured down outside, I came across some blank A4 OHP slides designed for printing by a laser printer - so rather more heat-proof than polythene, quite stiff and beautifully flat. It occurred to me that, as I intend to take each calliper off in turn to clean them up on the bench, I could scan the mounting face of one as a line drawing and print the result as full size on an OHP slide as a perfect 'gasket'! :-D
What an absolutely brilliant idea :-D
Not quite so brilliant in practise. I got the N/S calliper off this afternoon without any serious problems - an amazing wedge of corrosion - cleaned it up and scanned it. Due to shortage of time, the "scan as a line drawing" bit didn't work but with 5 minutes fiddling I did get a decent outline (with a rather speckled fill) and settled for that, printing 5 to an A4 page. I cut a couple slightly oversize (it's easier to see what your doing) and punched the holes for 1 with a wad-punch. As an experiment I tried punching the holes for the second with the spare bolts, it can be done, but it's much easier with a slightly over-size wad punch.

For whatever reason, I had no real problems. I'll post some photos after I've done the O/S tomorrow - that should be easier and quicker now I know exactly how to do it. I'm now going to write down the sequence of steps for future reference!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)