C5 2.0ltr hdi vtr 2003

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c5driver

C5 2.0ltr hdi vtr 2003

Post by c5driver »

Hi, i have just purchased a C5, which so far is so good, looking though the owners manual i see some of these cars have a trip computer, i tried accessing it by pressing in the end of the wiper stalk as it says in the manual, but nothing happens. can anyone tell me if this car has one fitted?
regards

C5 driver
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome to the forums c5driver

It does have. I think even the LX has the trip computer but the stalk/button is notorious for failing - mine is the same, worked when I bought the car and packed in on the drive home.

If you are lucky the fix is to carefully remove the button from the stalk, even better remove the stalk from the steering column first, then prise out the button and repair the broken brass contact. A steady hand with a miniature soldering iron is a prerequisite.
There are instructions for it around here somewhere, I'll have a mooch around and find a link.

If you are really out of luck it is the BSI and that will set you back a couple of hundred quid.
c5driver

Post by c5driver »

Nice one Steve, I will have a look during the week.

C5driver
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here you are; swiped from another C5 forum.

Mark
I had the same problem as you some time ago, and realise it was the switch contacts themselves which were at fault. So I endevered to take the stalk apart as follows:

1. With two fine instrument screwdrivers, prise the end button off the stalk. This has an extended plastic arm which passes through the wiper switch housing and there is a 12mm spring behind it which also comes away.
2. With pliers, nip together the two plastic central clips to remove the wiper switch housing. Be careful if your car is an estate as the assembly has two shiny spring loaded plungers which lock the switch in the two positions for the rear window wiper.
3. Remove the wiper switch housing to expose a small pcb and a circular brass switch which detached itself from the switch housing in my case.
4. Again with pliers, nip the centre plastic clips to remove the plastic twin plunger housing. The circular brass switch can now be removed.

It was then I could identify the problem, a small piece of the brass contact which the end button arm pushed against had broken off, which needed some delicate soldering to fix it back.
When replacing the switch, assemble the plastic twin plunger housing and brass switch in the wiper switch housing before pushing it back over the extended centre plastic clips. The end button just pushes onto the end with a ‘click’.

This is all a bit ‘fidgety’, but think of the price of a COM2000 unit and persevere.

Regards
Allan
(‘02 Exclusive SE 2.2 HDi Auto Estate 122k-miles)
c5driver

Post by c5driver »

Thanks Steve, very much appriciated.
i will let you know the outcome during the week.

C5driver
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks. If you succeed then you can come and do mine :twisted:

There are some photo's floating around but I haven't located them yet :(