XM-air intake, warning light.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

K-dk
My Cars:

XM-air intake, warning light.

Post by K-dk »

Hi Guy's
I recently replaced the air-filter on my XM('92 2.0i) .
I discovered a lot of engine oil just before the carburettor, seem's like gearbox breather hose, deposits oil due to mayonaise inside airintake ! Anyone know if that does anything to the enigne ?
I also have som problems with poor idle'running making the oil-water lamp go off' every time I brake hard !?
On my prevoius car, a BX 16TRS flashing oil lamp, was a sign of clotted air/FUEL filter(s).
I have bought a fuel filter for the XM, but i cannot find it where my haynes manual say's it's supposed to be !?
Well, My MOT is up friday, didnt pass last week, due to holes in exhaust and to little tire-wear.... the car must be so good, that one does'nt notice such things [:D]
-K
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Petrol engined 4-cylinder XM's have the same trouble with crankcase breather hoses as all other PSA petrol engines of that era. In cold climates, the mayonaise can freeze, blocking crankcase breathing,. creating an overpressure and forcing most of the engine oil up the filler, blowing the cap off and making an unholy mess under the bonnet! What's worse is that so much oil can be lost that the engine can sieze. So make sure your breather pipes are clean! In Scandinavia, PSA sell a kit with an electric heating wire to wrap around the offwnding hose together with insulation. Short journeys are the main cause of mayonaise - the engine doesn't get warm enough to disperse all the condensation in the crankcase.
The fuel filter is very well hidden long up behind a sheild above the rear exhaust silencer, you can fish around for ages and be firmly conviced that you haven't got one, but I assure you, you have! If you can find an XM at a breakers with the undercarriage removed, you can see where the smart guys at PSA hid the filter!
//NiSk