FUEL FILTER MYSTERY!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sawman

FUEL FILTER MYSTERY!

Post by sawman »

:oops: CAN ANYBODY OUT THERE TELL ME ONCE AND FOR ALL DOES MY CITROEN C5 1.8LX (PETROL 52 REG)HAVE A FUEL FILTER AND IF SO WHERE IS IT LOCATED,AS I HAVE JUST SPENT THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS TAKING OFF UNDERCAR PANELS,UNDER SEATS AND COVERS SEARCHING FOR IT,I FOLLOWED THE FUEL LINES BACK FROM THE TANK AND DID NOT SEE ONE ANYWHERE,I BOUGHT A FUEL FILTER A WHILE BACK FROM A FACTORS TO CHANGE WHILE DONG THE SERVICE SO I PRESUMED IT WOULD HAVE ONE,CAN ANYONE PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY PLEASE,MUCH APPRECIATED. :?
quai_de_javel
My Cars:

Post by quai_de_javel »

Please do not shout. Use caps lock, please.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes it is in fact very hard to read an all-caps text -
But that wont hold me back :wink:

You are right that your series I 1.8 C5 does not have a fuel filter.

In the service documentation for C5 sereis I and II petrols there is no mention of a fuel filter for cars exported to "normal dusty environment" countries.
This is also recognised by the petrol fuel lines connecting feed & return lines together just prior to the injector distributor pipe.

On models exported to "dusty environment" countries, there is a fuel filter just where it is expected to be : under the rear of car at the tank.
This setup is further recognised by only having the petrol feed line connected at the injector distributor pipe.
The return pipe is taken from a junction just after the filter under the car.

The filter itself is of the standard style PSA type : a simple alu can with a pipe stud each end with an arrow marking the flow direction.
If you want to modify for a filter, then simply try fit it in the fuel feed line under the rear at the tank, leaving the return line as is.
A few good long nylon zippers would most likely help you out of the mounting problem.
Even a homemade bracket from a length of galvanised steel riveted on to the bottom panels (NOT the tank obviously :lol: ).
I would NOT fit the filter in the engine bay, as this could lead to vapour locks on a hot summers day.

Hope this takes the uncertainty out of your day ... 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote: In the service documentation for C5 sereis I and II petrols there is no mention of a fuel filter for cars exported to "normal dusty environment" countries.
:shock: No fuel filter :shock: Now there's a ticking timebomb if ever there was one :twisted:

What some manufacturers will do to cut a cost :twisted:

So, what do they define as a "normal, dusty environment"? I guess my house would be a good start :lol: :lol:

Mr. Sawman, For peace of mind, I'd be very tempted to fit one.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sawman

Post by sawman »

:oops: hi folks sorry about the last thread being in capitals,as well as being a novice with diy car repairs i am also a novice with the computer skills,anyway thanks for the replies ,it has finally put my mind at ease as i thought i was going mad not being able to find where the fuel filter was located,thanks yet again for the quick replies,regards sawman. :D