Hydraulic lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lazza
My Cars:

Hydraulic lights

Post by lazza »

HI All

Firstly apologies for being off the forum for so long. basically that dreaded thing Work and a particularly cold and wet winter here has prevented me from even looking at the car.

The good news is that the fuel pump, whose seals I replaced seems to work well, even with 90% veggie oil at freezing temperatures.. although Air seems to be getting the system again, but I think it is a fuel return problem with my new valeo primer, bought for an extorntionate price that isnt working properly! I will add an anti-return valve and see what happens.

My main problem is that since I changed the accumulator unit (sphere + unit) it's stopped clicking all the time, but when I start up, the red hydraulic lights come on and the height readjusts itself. After 10 secs it's fine and I can drive. I think it must be the automatic locking valve that needs replacing... is this easy?

Cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Larry, good to see you again :D

With a good accumulator, it's pretty normal for the STOP light to take a few seconds to extinguish. 10 seconds is by no means excessive as the pump pressurises the accumulator. In fact, with a totally duff accumulator the light will go out very quickly as it has no accumulator to pump up!

By how much is the height being corrected on start-up? A small correction is pretty normal too.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Hi Jim

thanks for your reply

Ah ok, well that sounds normal then. err depends, it's fairly significant the change- normally the front drops quite alot and the rear lifts a bit.

The steering is also very stiff on cold mornings on starting out- which I thought may be related ??
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Mine is like this some mornings Lazza :D

feels like it has flat tyres, and can take from 5 - 20 seconds to extinguish the light..

I am ignoring it at the moment... some mornings and every afternoon it's fine...