Hydraulic Pump Noise XM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

Hydraulic Pump Noise XM

Post by beemernut »

I have an intermittent squeal coming from the hydraulic pump. It sounds like a belt slipping (or one of those fancy clutches thay have in rally cars) but lasts for only a fraction of a second. it seems to happen mainly when the engine is at lower revs/(speed) and the pump is sending fluid - when the brakes are applied, the steering is on full lock or the car is going over bumps in the road, at higher revs/ (speeds) the noise does appear to happen. On starting there is no noise from the pump and the car rises to the correct height in what appears to be normal time (at least compared to the BX). If the engine is left idling the noise occurs with the pump sending fluid, rev the engine and the noise dissappears.
The auxilliary belt seems slightly loose - more than 5mm of play in the middle of the longest run.
Is it possible that the noise is caused by the belt slipping at low revs when the pump is under load or is this the start of terminal pump faliure?
David.Cox
My Cars:

Post by David.Cox »

Could be the belt squeeling as it goes round loose. sugggest you tighten up. The betl is supposed to be as tight as you can get it: tigheter than an alternator belt.
beemernut
My Cars:

Post by beemernut »

Thanks David. That seems to have solved it.