Citroen C5 Turbo Problems??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Scottpr
My Cars:

Citroen C5 Turbo Problems??

Post by Scottpr »

Hi all.

Recently bought a 2001 (51) 2.2 HDI Exclusive Diesel. Car sailed through the MOT which was a nice surprise!!
However the One problem I do have is with the turbo (or so I have been told)
When accelerating I get a loud noise from the engine, sounds like compressed air escaping? A friend of mine said it could be the pipe between turbo and engine is split?
any ideas if this may be the case or not?
also some tips on how to find the turbo and what it looks like would be very helpful! Remember you are dealing with a complete novice here!!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Also consider the intercooler being split/leaking.

Steve.
not applicable
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The cat could be blocked, my HDi Xantia made a noise like that for a while.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Scottpr
My Cars:

Post by Scottpr »

Thanks for the reply's, the reason he told me it was the turbo, was because it only happened when accelerating, would this happen if it was the intercooler or cat being blocked??
Scottpr
My Cars:

Post by Scottpr »

:oops: sorry for the double post!!

Also would this be damaging the engine?
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Assuming your C5 has done a fair mileage for its age, the turbo is almost certain to be leaking some nice black engine oil into its air flow. So the way to find and air leak is to look for an oil leak while tracing the inlet air-path from the air-cleaner to the engine:

The turbo is down the back of the engine - follow the pipery from the aircleaner into the centre of the turbo-charger's compressor (vaguely snailshell-shaped). The hot compressed air comes out where the snails head would be. The pipe from there goes to one side of the inter-cooler (an air-to-air radiator) usually mounted in front of the coolant radiator. From the other side of the inter-cooler the cool compressed air goes to the inlet manifold.

The oil will be coming out as a fine mist in a blast of air; the leak will be facing whatever is receiving this blast. You may have to clean up the engine to work out where the leak is - guaranteed to be somewhere you can't actually see!

Best of luck

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Scottpr
My Cars:

Post by Scottpr »

Thanks for all your help.

Took it into my local garage today and it turns out there was a jubilee clip missing from one of the turbo pipes, quick replacement fitted and it's done! Didn't even charge me!
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive