Exhausting...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Look for aftermarket parts, they are waaaaay cheaper than OE replacement. But welding seems like the way to go. I once cracked the exhaust while passing over a dirt mound (the road had been closed for repaving and it was ready, but the official inaguration was due, so I inagurated it :oops: ), had it weld. Other day, while replacing the rear dampers I moved the exhaust to much and cracked the tube again, welded it again. It is now very thin but still holds with the welds :lol:
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
John Plum
My Cars:

Alternatives

Post by John Plum »

I have a largish hole at the join to the rear box. Haven't taken it apart, but seems as if the flange is slightly corroded away and probably repairable.

I thought I'd decat it, got onto GSF: they informed me that form year 2000 on it would fail an MOT if I decatted it, due to law (actually legislation not law - commercial contracts - for the lawyers here....i.e a contract between oursselves as drivers with a license); older cars with optional cat would be OK. MY xantia is year 200 reg. :x If you know this to incorrect. let me know.
They do a repair pipe section from cat to box at £12.00 + VAT after they sell existing stock. their box is £68.80 + VAT.
yescarparts in Leeds do a repair section pipe (at the moment ) £23.00 inc.
Bosia do a repair pipe, don't know the price.

citroenservices (on ebay), based in lanarkshire, which also seem a decent company, don't do a xantia TD pipe, but have one for the 1.9D at £35.00.

neu-car-parts(From Poland) do exhausts for Xantia, didn't see one for estates, but could be useful: they als have a presence on ebay.
Cats cost about £130 on ebay.
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

It's not just Citroen rear boxes that fail where the (front) pipe enters; I think the reasons for failure at this point are fairly simple:
- Mechanically, it's the weakest point in the exhaust system,
- welding burns the protective coating off both pipe and plate (look at a new one) so corrosion is ineviatble, especially as
- the front end of the box faces into all the flying salt/grit/spray.

The original box on our Xantia 1.9TD estate failed just like Richard's a few months ago - after 13 years! Not bad.

Yes they do seem expensive by comparison, but not for the size/weight - and, for pre-cat cars, unlike most other cars of similar vintage there's only the one box.

With the replacement, I took the view that if the cheap alternative lasted half as long as the original, I would be quite happy. I keep meaning to get the car on a lift and spray the front face of the box with some heat-proof paint before the winter.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

John, diesel emmissons test is smoke test only so no cat required.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Xac. I read that in your earlier posts. It's the clearest most rational authoritative statement I have heard on this, and I go with that.

I am tempted to switch my order tomorrow, we'll see: I'll attempt ask to speak to a GSF manager to request the source of their instructions as well. Can't be arssed to search government sites, when I know I'll come up with mud, and stuff like 'you must' posing as law. I'll ask my MOT people what they have to refer to.
John Plum
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

John Plum wrote:Xac. I read that in your earlier posts. It's the clearest most rational authoritative statement I have heard on this, and I go with that.

I am tempted to switch my order tomorrow, we'll see: I'll attempt ask to speak to a GSF manager to request the source of their instructions as well. Can't be arssed to search government sites, when I know I'll come up with mud, and stuff like 'you must' posing as law. I'll ask my MOT people what they have to refer to.
MoT people would be the best, just ask for the CAT requirement for diesels to pass rather than "If I de-cat my car..." :D
Let us know how it goes!

Actually, just found this http://www.motester.co.uk/CarOwnersGuid ... fault.aspx
EMISSIONS WITHOUT CAT
I own a Honda CRX Civic Del Sol 1992 K reg and I am having a stainless steel exhaust built and fitted. The fitter has said to me because the car is a 1992 model and the law that governs the catalytic converters for the MOT came into effect in 1993, the car does not fall into this law, and I could remove the cat and it would still pass the MOT. Is he correct or will it fail the emissions Test. Thanks, Ben.

Your fitter is not quite correct. The MOT regulations say nothing about a vehicle having a catalytic converter. They merely set emission levels which have to be achieved if the vehicle is first used after a specific year. Certainly some cars with every efficient engines could achieve the required emission levels without a catalytic converter. However in your case, if your vehicle’s year is before the break year, then should the cat be removed, in all probabilty it should not affect the MOT. – MOTT
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum »

Cancelled my order, GSF don't heave the non-cat , I was told, and perhaps discontinued selling them.
Got a tymax version from Buyparts £32 +. I gave then my reg and they tried hard, quibbled saying no cats were fitted with... so I just said, oh, lets see then, no it was a 1996 its written down in scribble, but I'm looking at the plate now. :) I should have told him its what I want, but i didn't want to argue the toss about law, or make him him blush.
John Plum
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Come to think about it, there's a lot of people on TD forums with much newer vehicles asking about CAT, EGR and FAP removals etc and I can't recall reading one opposing reply quoting MOT or other rulebooks so I'm fairly confident removing yours will not contradict anything but of course, the risk is still yours to decide. A quick call to an MOT station would sort it, surely?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

As long as its not chugging out tonnes of black smoke they rarely care with diesels. even the newer ones are only fitted with cats to meet the euro standard. You could drive a new C5 off the court and into an exhaust place and remove the DPF and all to get some more power quite easily. how the ECu would react is a different matter.....
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Exhausting...

Post by RichardW »

It's gone again.... I was thinking it wasn't that long ago it was changed, but I remembered this thread, so dug it out, and was slightly surprised to find it was 3 years ago. Not so bad then - 3 years and 45k out of the box. New (Timax) one on order from carparts4less for a shade over £70 - should see the car out now!

This will be the 4th Exhuast repair in 3 years then (back box, front weld to cat, cut out and replace cat back, back box again). I've got to do battle with that infernal spring clip on the joint again :twisted:
Richard W
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The point is that the exausts are built down to a price. A better one would be lots more expensive and we don't want to pay.....do we? :)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

They ALWAYS go at that joint ! First time it happened on mine there was JUST enough sound metal left to weld it, 2 years later when it failed again it was tissue metal ! New Bosal box off ebay was the solution.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Fitted it today, but after a few miles when it had settled down it is fouling on the tow bar and making a right old racket, so it has to come off again tomorrow, to be 'relieved' (read having a dent put in the top of the tail pipe with a big hammer :-D ) Either that, or the towbar will feel the rough edge of Mr A Grinder :twisted:
Richard W
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

:lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's relieved :) - it's surprsingly hard to put a large dent in a 2+mm thick pipe, but a few minutes with a ball pein did the trick. I think the reason it was OK to start with was tht the pipe expanded when it got hot and moved the box back a fair bit so if fouled the towbar.

Hope it passes its MOT in a few weeks - it's all starting to look distinctly 'old' underneath....
Richard W