LHM tank empty but......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Could be just a popped out leakage return pipe...

Check where the pipe goes into the caliper, my 2.1 had quite a leak from there and all it needed was a new seal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's easy to find out if it's the brake pipe - just get someone to step on the brakes while looking underneath. If the pipe is pinholed it comes out +++ - I know, I've seen one :shock: If it is the brake pipe changing it is a bit of git. Don't even think about trying to use the Citroen pre-formed pipe unless you want to remove all the height corrector and anti-sink gear. If you use a kunifer pipe you can just about bend / feed it in. There are a couple of clips on the original pipes you will have to drill the rivets out of and then bolt back together. I couldn't get the pipe stubs out of the K splitter, and had to take it off the car - I very gingerly unwound the feed pipe union hoping it wouldn't wreck itself (which fortunately it didn't!) - even then I was nearly ready to light BBQ and burn the seals out before I persuaded them to come out!
Richard W
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Well, its the rear passengerside brake pipe thats gone.
No one sells the part except Citroen and the cost is £35 less 10% plus vat
Am next day delivery though but WOW What a rip off price. The reason is that its because it is very small bore tube and therefore cost a lot more to make!!!!! More like that they can charge the earth!!!!

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure GSF do/did sell the rear curly brake pipes

regards malcolm
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I tried GSF, they dont seel them, also tried EuroCarParts and both places said it was a citroen jobby
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Honestly Paul -

Thats a fair price for a genuine pipe jobby.
You MAY get some 30-50% off if you try good ole Pleiades, but then remember P&P adds to the bill ...

An alternative would be a nearby Citroen enthusiast who stock the 3.5mm CuNiFer pipe and have the Citroen pipe flaring tool.
The pipe could be made up within an hour or so.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you send me the OE part No.'s i will have a look amongst my new genuine parts to see if i have any

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have a S/H one here you can have FOC. It's a bit scruffy but it'll get you out of a hole....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Well!!!!!
I got the car onto the axle stands, new pipe ready, and I looked up and it turns out that its thr front to rear brake pipe that has gone!!!! on the citroen service site it shows a T fitting and on the car its a K fitting with one part blanked off!!!! Bl**dy annoying or what???
I have now got to order another pipe hoping they will take this one back and At what cost????
Anyone changed one of these pipes?? Is it easy or a dog of a job???

Paul
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Is it easy or a dog of a job???
Given that it runs from behind the LHM tank and is threaded through the subframe, I think dogs will have nothing on it.... Might be best to see if you can bag yourself one of the small flaring machines, cut the pipe under the floor, flare it in place, and then fit a short length of kunifer to close the job. Plaedies will make you a kunifer pipe, and might be able to hire you the flaring tool.
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This may be useful, or just the opposite, but I replaced every single bit of hydraulic pipe there was on my GS and was surprised at how simple (and expensive) it was.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Kunifer is a trade name for a copper nickel alloy pipe. Copper alone is no good as it work hardens and fractures. The nickel keeps it flexible even after repeated bending.
Richard W