will it fit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

codsy
My Cars:

will it fit

Post by codsy »

<font color="black"></font id="black">my zx td engine over heated and cooked itself so i found a cheap bx td engine for £100. the question is will it fit in my zx and how can i get over the problem of no vacum pump[:D].
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It will fit but there will be some differences, the bracket for the alternator will most likely be one but this is easily changed over from your original engine.
The clutch is another, on your ZX it is a pull type, on the BX its a push type IIRC, so there may be a difference in the flywheel especially since the BX is a 1769cc against 1905cc.
The vacuum pump should bolt on to the BX from the ZX be it direct or indirect drive, if its a direct drive one from the camshaft there is usualy a brass oil gallery plug that needs to be removed first.
Fuel filter position will probably be different, off engine for BX and on it for ZX, but again the water/filter housing might bolt straight on.
Just some of the hurdles you may have to overcome to make it a goer, personaly I'd look for one that will drop straight in, you'll have to pay more but it would be worth it in the long run.
Watch out for the different injection pumps too, especially if yours has the immobiliser on it.
Dave
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Don't forget that the Pug 306/309 has the same diesel engine as the ZX and requires much less modification!
//NiSk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dave
are you sure about the clutch mechanism? My TD BX has a clutch lever arrangement that looks identical to the wife's ZX D (non turbo) This has a screw adjuster on the end of the cable engaging in a lever welded to a round bar passing through the bell housing and presumably carring a yoke in turn carrying the release bearing.
jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yep Jeremy, 1.9D in a ZX (and all other 1.9D's) is a standard push type clutch, the wierd pull type is only fitted to the 1.9 td and the 2.0L petrol.
This is the wierd bit, if its a pull type clutch, the actual movement of the release arm on the gearbox is moved by the OUTER cable, in other words the bit the inner main cable in a normal world travels through.
The main INNER cable in this case is anchored to a bracket and does NOT move at the gearbox end, only at the pedal end does it move.
Dave