Connecting a iPod to Xantia stereo (or is it a CD player?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Napoleon
My Cars:

Connecting a iPod to Xantia stereo (or is it a CD player?)

Post by Napoleon »

I thought I had already asked about this, maybe not...

I have identified that my Xantia's radio/cassette has a jack of some kind - I believe to accpet the input from... what? an iPod? a CD player? an MP3 player? (is an iPod an MP3 player?). Yikes I'm clearly out of touch!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Tim,

Yes, the jack socket on the fron will accept a stereo input from any player, iPod included. You need a 3.5mm to 3.5,mm stereo lead and away you go.

On plugging in an iPod, the display will read "AUX". Job done.

On the 4030 radio with CD jukebox, this socket still works so you can have radio, CD or iPod. Magic :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Thanks Jim, I thought that was the position. Tell me, please, does this apply to all iPods? I saw some today in the shop, and there appear to be three, 'Original', 'Nano' etc.

We are thinking of getting an MP3 for the car, as suggested, and it may as well be iPod (of some kind) and so as we are considering shifting to an iMac computer, maybe an iPod makes most sense. At least as much sense as I can muster!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Any iPod (or any other player) that has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on it (and I think that's all of them) will work just fine with the radio. I have a Nano personally, an old-style one, but my daughter's new-style Nano works perfectly as well.

As for the iMac, no good asking me, I'm a hard-core, dyed-in-the-wool Windows user :lol: :lol: Never used anything else but Windows but I do draw the line at Vista :lol: :lol: I'm still using good-old XP :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I'm still on XP, as well, Jim, and leaving Win98 behind was difficult enough!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

Although all variation of mp3 players should connect using the 3.5mm jack plug , if your gonna blow some coinage on an iMac ( Apple may be using both quad-core and dual-core chips in a new iMac expected soon ) . You'd might as well go with the ipod , which will configure well .
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

So what head unit was fitted to Mk2 V6's? Mine doesn't have a jack socket.

I have a Sony Ericson mobile phone which has 8gB of music storage and a built in FM transmitter so I use that. But a jack socket would be useful.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Stempy wrote:So what head unit was fitted to Mk2 V6's? Mine doesn't have a jack socket.

I have a Sony Ericson mobile phone which has 8gB of music storage and a built in FM transmitter so I use that. But a jack socket would be useful.
The jack socket was only fitted to MK1 stereo's.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Stempy wrote:So what head unit was fitted to Mk2 V6's? Mine doesn't have a jack socket.

Series 2 Xantias had the Clarion head units which didn't have the AUX socket.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The iPod to get is the Touch with as much capacity storage as you can spend - although a chunkier price than a Nano or Original flavored one the screen interface is brilliant and very easy/addictive to use and may cause you and the Missus some arguments over who has it and/or what comes first; the. iPod or them!! :lol: :P

And the wireless Internet if you get a network router on your broadbanded computer allows effortless net surfing too.

As for macs, well they're just brilliant; they really are. For around £250 on ebay you'll find a really cool 17" flat screen machine that'll do everything you'll ever want - there may not be one on but look out for a G4 iMac 1.25 processor with plenty of ram. They do turn up, wait longer and pay more for the rarer 20" screen one!

Andrew
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Napoleon wrote:it may as well be iPod (of some kind) and so as we are considering shifting to an iMac computer, maybe an iPod makes most sense. At least as much sense as I can muster!
No need to buy a Mac - iTunes (the software used to transfer the music to the iPod) can be installed on a PC. There's no sense in shelling out big bucks on an a Mac solely for moving some music around... 8)
You can get a Clarion iPod interface cable which plugs in to the CD changer socket. No idea of a price though.
Stempy wrote:I have a Sony Ericson mobile phone which has 8gB of music storage and a built in FM transmitter so I use that. But a jack socket would be useful.
I've got an unused stereo mute cable here from my K800i which has ISO connectors to connect to most radios. Only downside is that it appears to need a Sony Ericsson phone kit to connect to also, as the music comes through the phone cradle or the bluetooth connection. :roll:
ImageImage
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Back when I had my first Xantia, I obtained a Sony discman for laptop use.
Ok it didn't look that stylish, but it had great anti-shock and a 16hour playback lithium battery.
I velcro'd it to the space between the rear foot wells, and ran a jack lead to the radio. It can easily be slipped in between the dashboard foam and the centre console surround keeping things nice and tidy :)

These days Cassy has a Sony bluetooth MP3 player head, which is nice as it connects to my mobile.
Jenny has the original blaupunkt head with AUX socket (another reason that MK1s are better ;) ) which I plug a £20 mp3 player from tescos in. It charges from a USB socket, and so I can charge it in my car using a USB/cigar lighter adaptor, which I also use to charge my mobile and iPaq (for Tom Tom).

One thing to note about the AUX, the volume is very low.
If you get an iPod you'll probably want to trackdown a bit of software which removes the volume restriction from it.

There are plenty of cheaper and better MP3 players out there than the iPod. I've only got one because it was free from a previous employer. Used it more as a 20GB USB hard drive that we were allowed to connect to our work PCs than for using music, although I did use it for a little while in Cassy before replacing her head unit.
Ran the jack lead and power to the fuse box and taped the iPod to the inside of the fuse box flap, so it was out of sight.
To change tracks I just had to drop the flap.
Then a friend gave me their wireless iPod remote which I kept on the dashboard.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

ok, just a quickie to say that I got the lead and it works brilliantly!

No problem with the aux, Xac.

Thanks for helping with this.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ