Hydraulic pump return pipe leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Hydraulic pump return pipe leak

Post by red_dwarfers »

Just browsing through the engine bay after my Xantia fell into a coma today and realised that I still have the temporary fix for the thick hydraulic pump return pipe to stop air being sucked in. Its on the bend right above the pump. I did look to see if I could get a new pipe from the stealers but they wanted £120 for the whole octopus :shock:

Im begining to get a little stressed as I want the Xantia to pass its MoT and a few bits have now started to stop working such as the engine :lol: (see blog).

Does anyone have any ideas for fixes? It's only a small crack. My current fix is a tie wrap pulling the bend to a local bit of metal...I can't remember where the other end was attached....I might get a photo up in a minute, to explain it a bit better if I can find a decent torch :wink:

EDIT:
Heres the photo!
The red arrow is pointing to where the small crack is. Its on the bend of the corner.
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 02 Feb 2009, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Do you mean the suction pipe to the pump Kev?

The "normal" fix is to splice a new length of suitable pipe in with a straight connector. A piece of 15mm copper water pipe may bo as the connector but do make sure the pipe is sound as if it's still a bit "iffy" where the joint is made, it won't last... My old Activa had such a joint in it and that was (and presumably still is) fine.

A picture will hep immesurably Kev :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Picture up.

The car looks dirtier than it actually is :oops:

I thought that it might be the suction it wouldn't make sense being a return to resivour as the PAS was terribla :lol: , is that still called the 'return' for some reason though?
I must have understood the citroen parts dealer incorrectly...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's the suction pipe Kev and a common enough place for them to go. Apparantly the flow of LHM is enough to abrade the rubber anwat and wear a hole on corners. All the "rubbish" that accumulates on the LHM filters originate from tiny particles of these pipes eroded away by the LHM flow :o

Go to a scrappy, cut out a length of good pipe with a similar bend and splice it in. There's no pressure there, just suction like on a diesel fuel line.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

..or replace the bend with a copper elbow and a couple of short pipes.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I have a couple of those pipes that end - they have worn firther down were it passes over the regulator!

I could send you a top half if you fancy splicing it in with a join as mentioned!

Rgds
PAul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I have a length of green garden hose on Cassy as I accidently sliced through the pipe with my sphere tool :oops:

It's working a treat, but to prevent kinks I take it up to the top of the engine, over the induction pipes and straight onto the resevoir.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool