Citroen C5 2.0HDi 110 Economy and reliability.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Citroen C5 2.0HDi 110 Economy and reliability.

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi C5 owners,

Im looking at getting a C5 2.0 HDi 110, around 2002-2003 year.

Im just wanting your comments on how reliable yours have been and what MPG you average? I have done a search but can not find much info the the MPG of 2.0 HDi C5s.

Coming from a 1.4TDI as my daily car, it may be a bit of a shock to the wallet to go down to something doing 40MPG! :lol:

I had a test drive in a 2005 2.0 HDi 138 last wekk, it was a nice drive but that specific car had far too many faults. I really dont want a FAP filter car, so the 2.0 110 seems the best choice.

Ive heard all kinds of horror stories, but good reviews too. The C5 is the obvious choice for what i want, so im just look for comments on reliability and MPG.

Thanks for your help, Chris.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Despite expectations to the contrary mine has proved to be quite reliable.
The consumption is a bit of a disappointment though. Urban driving, always short distanced of around 4~10 miles a trip, return a fairly steady 32MPG (lead foot)

Longer journeys are better - a recent trip to Scotland, just over 200 miles, returned 54MPG.

In complete contradiction to that, my last trip to Newport Pagnell/Milton Keynes/Bedford/Huntingdon only gave me 45MPG on straight runs while the previous one, same rout almost but with more stops and shorter trips included on that one plus lots of very low speed stretches on the A1M and M1 returned >60MPG.

I quite like it but it is rubbish compared to Jim's Activa :D
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thanks for the reply myglaren, Very helpful.

I do quite a bit of town driving but thats about what id expected really, the Xm is lucky to get 22MPG around the town. Although i also do a fair amount of motorway driving, averaging around 15-16K miles a year.

Overall average is 50MPG in the book, seems its quite a realistic figure going on what you have said.
I think i could cope with that :lol:

I love the Xm but its a hobby car, not a daily, (it doeswnt get used much over winter or in the bad weather, more of a nice day car!) i had thought about another Xm, but a diesel to use everyday but finding one in good condition with reasonable miles is difficult, not to mention air con which is on my 'wants' list. So the C5 seemed a good option. As ive said I have had a drive of one and i really liked it, i just need to try a 110 now and find a good one to buy. Im after a hatchback.

The worst things ive heard are: The rear brake caliper problem, HDis fuel pump often fails, which is about £600 for the part? and the DMF can give up. Ill not mention the FAP as thats a 2.2 thing.

Someone we know is onto their fourth C5, they love them and only ever had one problem, something to do with the suspension, which the dealer wanted £1200 to fix! So he traded it in for another.

I got a bad report about C5s from a local Citroen indy, but then garages only ever see the bad in cars. From what ive read on here not many have had problems.

We have had an Activa, again another fine day hobby car, but im wanting this for my daily user. We have always had Citroens, and the logical one to buy for my purposes seems to be the C5. Nothing else of a similar size, by other makes, interests me really.

Anyone else want to chip in? With help about buying one, what to look out for or your own reports of reliability and MPG figures?

Thanks, Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Wheeler should have some comments to expand on the above.

There is a guy near me runs a taxi business and has only C5s, dumped all his Mondeos as they were always in need of fixing while the C5s just run (17 hours a day) and are more economiical plus a hit with the pasengers.
One has >440,000 miles on the clock.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I've owned a 2002 C5 2.0 HDI 110 for 100k, it now has 106k on the clock. I think I'm in a good position to comment!

The car drives well, has been tuned, and returns 42mpg town and 47-50mpg on motorway. More if I was to drive at 60.

Yes, the Dual Mass Flywheel started making a noise at 60k and was replaced with a solid flywheel Valeo clutch. The replacement is feather light nearly 50k later and a true joy.

A few suspension leaks and knocking noises, but my indy does droplinks for £35 a side (plus vat), and the one leak outside of warranty cost about £100 at a main dealer.

Touch wood, the car has been more reliable out of warranty. All it gets is 6,000 mile oil changes, annual air filters (they are only £4)and a pollen filter when things start to steam up. Front brakes last 40-45k, rear brakes were done at 50k due to caliper twisting.

Exhaust did over 90k before the back box needed replacing. The Bosal replacement does sound different to the original.

I'd replace it one day with another C5.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thanks again for the replies. Ive noticed quite a few places run them as taxis actually, so they must be fairly reliable :)

Hi Ben, I think me and my dad were speaking to you about your C5 at M&M motors a few months ago?

We were in the white Xm that day, but you stormed past us when we had a trip out in Kevins Bx. Your tuned C5 does seem to go very well! I was impressed with how soft your C5 felt to press, how is the handling with the soft spheres compared to the normal ones?

Did you notice a difference in economy after your tuning box was fitted?

Your economy sounds very good, do you have cruise control fitted? Am i right in thinking this can be added by a Citroen Dealer for around £100? My current car has cruise control, so it would be a nice feature to have on the C5.

Out of interest what is the service and cambelt intervals on the 2.0HDi?

We have a 206 2.0HDi 90 which needs servicing every 12,500 miles, although it gets done every 8K miles. Thats been very reliable and is showing 82K miles now. So id expect a C5 to be just as reliable, engine wise anyway.

Good to know there is a solid clutch replacement option should the DMF fail. Your running costs seen very low really.

I think ill have to go and try the 110 HDi. The 138 I drove last week was ok, it drove very nice, very smooth gearbox etc. Although it would not rev past 2.500, it was just like the ECU had cut in and limited performance. So it obviously had some faults, there were other things amiss with it too, so I left it there!

Thanks, Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Same as Ben here i have a 2003 sx estate 110bhp i get 42mpg local and always over 50mpg on a motorway drive.The local stuff is all up hill and down dale as i live in Queensbury one of the highest villages in uk in the pennines.Not far from from Ben i believe,Mine also has a chip on it to take the power up.I have been thinking of going for a Mon-deo estate as my bro has one drives like a nutcase and gets 49mpg local 58mpg on the motorway at 80 mph.Not made my mind up yet.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

That's right, I was at the Citroen Car Club event at M&M.

I was talking to Kevin at the CCC event this weekend. He indeed was impressed with the overtake uphill.

The handling is very similar with the comfort spheres. Comparing to other C5's, the softness of the ride is similar to the 2.2 H3+ I recently drove, but the H3+ models can firm up. All you have to do is treat the C5 in corners like the softly sprung car it is and remember it is not a sports car.

The economy slightly improved after the tuning box. If you ever get a C5, I can lend you it for a test.

The dealership formerly known as Dixons fitted Cruise Control. Cost about £125 in 2004.

Service intervals are 12,500 and cambelt 100,000 but I had mine done at 70k.

The 2.0 HDI 138 I drove today revved all the way to nearly 5000. The one you drove must have a fault.

I'm looking at changing to a 2007 C5 with the 2.2 173bhp twin turbo diesel engine. They all seem to have silly prices or 50k mileage. Depending on the price offered for my car, I might send it to auction or advertise it in the CCC magazine.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Depending on the price offered for my car, I might send it to auction or advertise it in the CCC magazine.
There is always "For Sale & Wanted" here :D
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I thought you seemd like the same person, as i remember you telling us about the clutch, tuning chip and of course the soft spheres.

We really need to make more of an effort to go to more CCC events, wetherby is the only one we go to on an anual basis, oh and M&M the last two years.

I would imagine many 2002/3 C5s will be near their time for replacement spheres, so i may go with the soft ones if i get one.

Interesting you noticed an improvement in economy with the tuning box. I had thought about a remap, which changes the torque pattern, often giving better MPG as a result. Thank you for your offer, i may take you up on that

Yes, best to get the cambelt done early, its never something i like to risk.

The 138 I drove was very odd, even when dropping down from 6th to 4th at 70 and flooring it, it would not accelerate, it kept its speed but didnt accelerate. So some kind of engine management problem I would imagine.

I have a question you might be able to answer regarding the cruise control. Coming out of a 30 zone in the 138 I drove, I accelerated with the cruise, left go at 50 as that was the new limit.

Now, this is how the cruise works on all the cars ive ever driven with it fitted, mine included. So once i leave go it keeps that speed.

Not so in the C5, its display said the cruise was now set to 156MPH and romped on past 50, so i tapped the brake to cancel it.

Now i assume its just a different feature the cruise has, so you keep it pressed until the display says your desired speed and then leave go? Or was this another of this cars many faults?

Ive heard good reports of the 2.2 173 engine. Its a shame all of the face-lifted C5s have the FAP filters, thats why i want the original shape.

The face-lifted shape is a very nice looking car, i like all the gadgets they have too. The one i drove was a VTR, but it had options: directional Xeons, parking pack, LDWS. A very nice car, but a very bad example.

Often Dealers will give you a hopeless price for your trade in, so you might be better advertising it. I wouldnt recommend putting it through auction, as you will struggle to get more than the dealer will give you for it.

Your best to list it on here and the CCC. Or even the usual autotrader. Depending on when you change i may even want to buy it myself, i know yours looks a very tidy example, with everything its ever needed being done. I want to sell my car first before I buy another, so i wont be buying one until that has gone anyway.

Chris.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Citroen have implemented Cruise Control in two ways when using the same (Comms 2000) stalks.

1, Citroen C5 mark 1 (2002).

No displays or warning lights.
Control just has two buttons at back for speed up and down and button on end for cancel.
When driving, press either of buttons on the back to lock your speed. You can then increase or decrease.
When increasing or decreasing speed, the car stays at the speed when you let go of the button. (keep holding until desired speed reached)
Press the clutch, brake or the end of the stalk to cancel.
Repeated pressing of end of stalk does not re-engage cruise.
If cruise control previously used during journey, pressing either rear button will resume last selected speed. Pressing either rear button twice, or down then up will lock at the current speed.

2, C5 facelist (2007), Xsara Picasso facelift (2005)

Odometer changes to display cruise control status when switched on.
Buttons look the same, but the end button engages and cancels. Pressing the button twice means you have re-engaged CC.
A quick press of either rear button will lock you at your current speed.
A single press, or several quick presses of the rear buttons increases /decreases you by 1mph.
Pressing and holding makes the desired speed jump by 5mph and will go above max speed of the car.
When increasing or decreasing speed you must check the display to see what the target speed is.
Car will continue to accelerate or decelerate after letting go of the button.

In short, on a newer car you have to check the display to see what speed the car wants to do, on the older one you keep holding the button until it is doing the speed you want.

The older ones have a cancel button. Newer ones will also re-engage using the same button!

I too did the same while test driving a newer car, and found that the car wanted to rocket off to way above the speed limit!

I hope this all makes sense!
Ben
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

We've run a 51-plate C5 110 for about 18 months, which replaced a 1.9 TD Xantia. It had about 85K on the clock when purchased, and is now coming up to 95K. I had the exhaust system (rusty hole in pipe) and one rear brake pipe (leaked, having rusted inside the plastic covering) replaced under warranty. Since then I've:

Replaced both front brake calipers (handbrake adjuster had siezed on nearside caliper);
Replaced both handbake cables and solid conduits (cables had rusted solid inside conduits);
Replaced other rear brake pipe;
Removed corrosion on rear caliper seatings;
Replaced rear caliper seals;
Replaced all 4 brake discs and renewed pads;
Replaced all 4 door window seals (aluminium armature inside rubber covering corrodes and leads to an outbreak of unsighly "blisters").

This sounds like a lot of work and expense but I got all my bits (apart from the window seals) through the factors (Eurocarparts, GSF etc) in Bristol at a fraction of what the main stealers would charge, and do all the work myself. So now, for a tad over £3000 in total (ie including the cost of the car) I have a comfortable vehicle which should last for some time without needing major expense, apart from replacing the cambelt, tensioner etc which I shall do when the weather warms up a bit.

So far as economy is concerned, the dashboard display showed about 39mpg when we got the car. This had reduced to about 36 mpg when it failed the MOT because of the front brake issues. Now that the brakes have been sorted the display reads about 41 mpg, but brimming the tank a few times shows that the actual mpg is about 45 over a mixture of local running and longish (100 miles or so) runs, assuming that the mileometer is reasonably accurate.

Overall I'm not too sorry we bought the C5, although I still think that the bloke who designed the front didn't talk to the bloke who designed the back until it was too late! The Xantia is a much more attractive car.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

I still think that the bloke who designed the front didn't talk to the bloke who designed the back until it was too late!
They were probably too busy designing the estate which i think is a lovely looking estate.But the cars are ugly things that seem to have been thrown together.
Turboselecta
My Cars:

Post by Turboselecta »

Interesting stuff, especially the fuel consumption which is inevitably a bit of a preoccupation despite diesel being so cheap!
I obviously spoke too soon about my recently acquired C5 VTR 110 Estate which although excellent in many ways is averaging 35mpg on short trip usage. This is a distinctly disappointing average especially as it's below the supposed worst ie urban figure. I was considering launching a 'worst consumption' competition, thought I had a good chance of being in the top few!
The plan now as it's a 138,000 mile example is to go through the standard checks & servicing to see what improvements can be made to reduce its thirst. This is prior to fitting a tuning module which should make some difference.
In terms of reliability, nothing's gone wrong yet. I'm familiar with the model, I had one as a company car some time ago- it was no problem at all only needing a screenwasher pump change @ £12.00.
C5 VTR Estate 110 HDi
ZX Turbo D Aura
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Turboselecta wrote
despite diesel being so cheap
What where do you live and how much do you pay.I'm being robbed blind by the petrol sellers but mostly the government stealing my money with tax on fuel.Its 98p round here thats not cheap to me.There still ripping everyone off.