Xantia Running temperature / Fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster
My Cars:

Xantia Running temperature / Fuel consumption

Post by hamster »

Recently my fuel consumption has started to increase. I used to be able to do 420 - 450 miles before the fuel light came on and its dropped suddenly to about 350, yesterday it came on after 335 although i know i can do best part of 100 miles with the light on.

I also noticed that my coolant temperature isn't getting very high, about 70 -75 degress even after motorway driving. Could this be the cause of my increased fuel consumption that the engine isn't reaching temperature? What temperature should a 1.8 petrol reach?

I bought a new thermostat to fit yesterday but hjust wondering if there is anything else I should check while I've got it in my workshop tomorrow.

Car seems to run fine apart from beinng thirsty at the moment. I was happy with the 35/36 mpg I was getting before from a 10- year old petrol that owes me nothing.
Xantia V reg (99) 1.8i 16v lx estate (green)
Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

oxygen sensor ? Changed mine, huge gain in fuel consumption

Water Temp. gauge for the ECU ?

Get a fault code read-out perhaps.

88 centigrade most likely( on catalytic ) but at least 82 centigrade.
hamster
My Cars:

Post by hamster »

Will change thermostat first and see if that helps. where is the oxygen sensor?

Can't afford to pay for a diagnotsic check at moment!!
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

Mine's a 2 litre petrol, just passed it's mot ok. It's the exclusive so probably the heaviest Xantia apart from the v6 and the Activa.

I've just changed the thermostat and coolant and it runs with the gauge needle just above the mark between the 60 and the 90 mark. I've assumed that's about 80 degrees. It's always read that even with 3 different thermostats fitted. It only goes higher when in traffic. Even "making progress" on the motorway doesn't make it run hotter.

On average I get about 33 to the gallon. This time of year it drops to just over 30. Driven gently (boring!) in the summer it will do about 35.
Your consumption is probably due to the current cold weather.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

In response to the OP, I would suspect oxygen sensor or a restricted catalytic converter. It should do slightly better than 33MPG in cool weather - mine did that figure recently driven enthusiastically on dirt roads, in significant heat!

Thermostat can be checked if you have a reliable thermometer and can improvise a double boiler on the stove. I'd replace the rubber sealing ring when refitting, but reckon the OEM thermostats are pretty good quality and unlikely to be the issue.

Regards, Adam.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

might seem like a stupid question but when you fill up do you go off the number of litres put in, or by the amount of money? Petrol has risen 5 pence or so around here in the last few days.....= less litres
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The volume of fuel (litres or gallons) as the price is always an arbitrary amount, changes day to day and filling station to filling station.

It is the quantity of fuel consumed to cover a certain distance that are the criteria here, the cost is insignificant but if you record that at the same time you can see how many pence per mile the car costs to use, disregarding repairs, servicing, insurance, tax MOT and other insignificant details :D

I always ask for a VAT receipt and write the mileage down on it then reset the trip meter. I feed the fuel quantity, price and mileage into a spreadsheet that then gives the MPL, MPG £PM MP£ Average consumption, Grand Average, total miles covered, total fuel costs etc. etc.Then there are other columns for other expenditure including Tax MOT, Servicing, spares etc. - you get the picture.

I'll get my coat - it's the anorak :(
hamster
My Cars:

Post by hamster »

is the oxygen sensor the same as the lambda sensor??

if so how do i test it and how expensive are they to replace if required?

thanks
Exhume.dk

Post by Exhume.dk »

hamster wrote:is the oxygen sensor the same as the lambda sensor??
yes it is
hamster wrote:if so how do i test it and how expensive are they to replace if required?
Try this Clicky

Seen @ 88 £ HERE
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

i had a xantia 1996 1.8 16v, the mpg was shocking (do a past posts search), around town it was something like 23mpg (would drop as low as high teens) and it was driven sensibly, on the motorway 33 mpg was about average. Again driven at an indicated 70-80 mph. this was the reason why i got rid of the car.

The mot emissions were always very low (i.e. co was often 0.00% whilst the HC would be around 20 ppm). I changed the service items and stat it made no difference. No codes showing on a lexia machine, so i sold it- was not worth spending anyone more money.

I also changed the lambda sensor as a garage who said it was showing a code- made no difference- why would it- the mot emissions test the lambda anyhow.

if your mot emissions show lambda as ok- i would leave it. If you want to change it eurccarparts and Bosch dealers were the cheapest when i rang around- genuine bosch of course
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

myglaren wrote: I always ask for a VAT receipt and write the mileage down on it then reset the trip meter. I feed the fuel quantity, price and mileage into a spreadsheet that then gives the MPL, MPG £PM MP£ Average consumption, Grand Average, total miles covered, total fuel costs etc. etc.Then there are other columns for other expenditure including Tax MOT, Servicing, spares etc. - you get the picture.

I'll get my coat - it's the anorak :(
I've got a similar spreadsheet, complete with a graph showing my cost per mile going up over the 5 years I've had the car....
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Moi, aussi.

I find the accrued total fuel outlay (thousands) the hardest bit to look at! :cry: