Xantia dillema

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Xantia dillema

Post by isisalar »

Bought a really nice xantia 1.9td VSX Estate last November to replace my dead 1.9 lx auto hatch.It,s a bit old'95, but i bought it (despite being manual) because it had a good history,very clean car for the milage, 145000, and had had recently had,
all new spheres
heater matrix
new battery
cam belt
and it all works(mostly)
I've fitted new strut tops, hydraflushed it severely and am getting the exhaust replaced Saturday prior to the mot next Saturday it just needs a few minor jobs and it's 100%.
However I have been offered a 2.1 TD VSX Estate '98 86k with leather and a sun roof!(rare as far as I know)which is a must for me.(present car has one) it has aircon but that is unimportant to me.
Anyone got any opinions eiher way?
I don't want or desire my car to be a hobby and having spent the last year sorting out the present car don,t want to start an uphill struggle again,but I'm so tempted by the bigger engine and the leather.
Is the engine that much better?
Is the heater matrix as likely to fail as in the 1.9
Advice please!

Kind reguards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Better the devil you know yaddayadda...

OR

how about buy the 2.1 and keep the 1.9 too!!! Seriously. :D

You can then run both and then decide if you prefer the old one having got
the newer 2.1 out of your system or the bigger engine is best. Then you
can give me your number for the one you don't want! ;)

Andrew
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 is a brilliant engine, probably the best IDI engine made. It has tremendous torque at low revs, will probably give you better mpg than the 1.9 and is almost bomb proof. The are prone to head gasket failure at around 150k, although they can last much longer if they have had plenty of good antifreeze used. but thats about all that goes wrong with them. The gasket is a pig of a job but should give you at least another 150k.

So really its up to you. Have you driven it? If not try it and see if you like it. If your 1.9 is in really good nick it might be a shame to part with it, but I would say that the 2.1 is definitly a better car.

Financially, running both of them has got to be cheaper than running a modern car, the extra tax and insurance would probably equate to what the first repair would cost!
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

That is a bit of a quandry..... :lol:

I would be tied between the easier to fix 1.9TD engine, and the leather of the 2.1

I had the 2.1 engine in a 406 exclusive, also with leather...the fuel pump packed in though so i sold it. Good engine though and mpg was great. i used to get 240 miles to £20 when fuel was about 93p a litre or so.

Like someone said, buy it and keep them both for a month. Then sell the one you decide against.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The fuel pump is the Achilles heel of the 2.1 in the Xantia, most of the XMs use a Bosch pump which will normally last the life of the engine but the EPIC pump which yours uses can give problems, especially if run on vegie oil. You can always replace the Lucas pump with a Bosch, if you can find one. Its not inevitable that the pump will give problems but it can happen. And as Vince said, the 1.9 is an easier engine to work on.

....Just another couple of points to ponder. :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:The fuel pump is the Achilles heel of the 2.1 in the Xantia...
Sadly yes, mine started to play up a bit yesterday :twisted: Mine has started to make the engine sort of misfire under very light load every now and again.

Diagiostics are not revealing anything really significant, just the usual needle lift sensor faults.

Shame really as the EPIC is a fundamentally excellent pump that endows the engine with good power and economy but they are weak.

Veg is a complete no-no. Certain death...

Once you've sampled the delights of a 2.1TD though, you'll be hooked :D They really are brilliant!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Well I think it's a bit clearer now .
The 2,1 is wonderful to drive but has a habit of eating fuel pumps ,the 1.9 is wonderful to drive but does not.
Thank's guys I think I'll stick with my restoration project and finish off the job. I forgot to mention that I've also put a new clutch,cable ,and clip (not personally)in the old girl and do less than 5000miles a year(in the car).
Thanks for you're advice you've pobably saved me thousands.
Kind reguards
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)