HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED PLEASE BERLINGO IMOBILISER!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sledge

HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED PLEASE BERLINGO IMOBILISER!!

Post by sledge »

Hi Please can you help me I have messed up!!!!

I bought a new Valeo lock set from GSF because all my door locks were not working properly.

I changed these including glovebox and fuel cap sucessfully.

Now the bad bit!!

The ignition switch. I replaced it and I now think my van has a factory imobiliser fitted because my van won't start it just makes a beeping noise and will not fire although it does turn over.

My van is a Berlingo date of reg is 21.02.2000.
Chassis No is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

The new key defo does not have imobiliser chip in the key so can I put the old switch back and and is there a process to re code my van??

Please help as I am desperately in the brown stuff.

Thanks all in advance

Sledge ](*,)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm sure someone will be along soon with a more informed resolution but have you tried holding the old key (with the chip) next to the ignition barrel to satisfy the immobiliser?
sledge

Post by sledge »

MikeT wrote:I'm sure someone will be along soon with a more informed resolution but have you tried holding the old key (with the chip) next to the ignition barrel to satisfy the immobiliser?
Mike I really do hope so!!!!!

In answer to your question yeah I have tried that and I think it will work once my battery has recharged. I flattened it whilst having the doors open with the radio on and the side lights. You know I feel such a complete and utter plonka!!!

Cheers for you help

Sledge
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

The standard blingo key has a small chip inside the battery compartment, its small, black and wedge shaped - its this that the aerial built into the steering cowl picks up - whilst its possible to remove the oold one from the plip key and put it nto the new one, I rather suspect that you will have to have the ECU reprogramed if a new barrel has gone in.

In the first case try removing the old chip and seeing if it recognises it and fires up, otherwise I suspect you will either hqave to find an auto locksmith in the yellow pages or bite the bulet and go to Citroen.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The new keyblade should be moved to the old keyblade holder, such you still have the old transponder with the new keyblade.

The key does in fact exchange a pass code with the computer via a coiled aerial located around or next to the lock barrel.

That is - if your old ignition key IS in fact equipped with a transponder.
I'm not sure if this is standard fitted to vans in UK.

PS : the aerial is both an inductive power source for the key chip and a receiver for the key code transmitted.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A 2000 berlingo deffo has a transponder imobiliser.
First off what type of keys did you originally have & what type do you have now ? Are they normal keys or plip keys ?
This is a kydney bean shaped key with transponder > http://www.kingdiag.com/product_show.asp?ID=230

The ones without transponders are more symetrical shaped. If your new lock set doesent have a transponder chip in it then you have the wrong lock set for the car, re fitting the original ignition barrel should make the key start the van ok, no need to re program anything. Alternitively remove the aerial from around the ignition barrel but keep it plugged in & place the old key inside the ring, the van should then start. If you dont mind not having an imobiliser & you dont want to get keys re coded then once the engine is running unplug the black box with the 18 pin black connector located behind the dash in the drivers knee area & the imobiliser will be gone forever.
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

AndersDK wrote:The new keyblade should be moved to the old keyblade holder, such you still have the old transponder with the new keyblade.
Or, yes you could do it the easy way like what Anders says. I do tend to go about things rather arse about face, but then I like pulling things apart to find out how they worked.
sledge

Post by sledge »

First off what type of keys did you originally have & what type do you have now ? http://www.kingdiag.com/product_show.asp?ID=230

Hiya. Just checked out the above link and my original keys are just like the one pictured.

I quite like the idea of completely removing the immobiliser. I will check that out and give you feedback.

Currently I have done what you suggested by removing the arial from around the ignition barrell and securing the original key inside.

Thanks
Sledge
sledge

Post by sledge »

AndersDK wrote:The new keyblade should be moved to the old keyblade holder, such you still have the old transponder with the new keyblade.

The key does in fact exchange a pass code with the computer via a coiled aerial located around or next to the lock barrel.

That is - if your old ignition key IS in fact equipped with a transponder.
I'm not sure if this is standard fitted to vans in UK.

PS : the aerial is both an inductive power source for the key chip and a receiver for the key code transmitted.

You know Anderson I really rather like this idea a lot but... How easy is it to remove the keyblade?

Cheers

Sledge
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

On the plip keys its simply a matter of pulling and it clips out, on the key you have pictured I dont think it can be.
sledge

YIPEE KI AY MOTHER F*!*!R

Post by sledge »

Hi have successfully done it guys!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE.

I have removed the keyblades and put them into the original key holder with the original transponder and guess what???????? It only flippin' works doesn't it!!!!

Guys thank you so very much I could buy you all a pint or five.

You will see on one side of the key that there are two dimples. I just drilled these and the blade simply pulled out. I have used two small metal pegs to secure the new blade.

Thanks once again I am so thrilled as my berlingo is back on the road again and I can work again!!

The main dealer in Northampton told me that there was nothing I could do other than get my van to them and they would charge me £100 plus the old dreaded to sort it out. :twisted:

You guys have saved me a load of money that I have not got so cheers =D> \:D/
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: YIPEE KI AY MOTHER F*!*!R

Post by MikeT »

sledge wrote:Hi have successfully done it guys!!!!!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE.
That's a relief!
sledge wrote:Guys thank you so very much I could buy you all a pint or five.
You guys have saved me a load of money that I have not got so cheers
Perhaps, if I may be so forward and you haven't already done so, you'd like to make a donation to the site instead?