Oil in the intercooler ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KAD

Oil in the intercooler ?

Post by KAD »

1.9 TD engines: I have noticed it seems quite common to find oil in the intercooler pipes. Quite a lot collects in there, does it all come from the breather system? Doesn't seem like a good thing to me??
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Some also comes from the turbo its self, the bearings in it are hydrodynamic like those of the crank and camshaft and so needs a pressurised supply of oil.
I think it would be unrealistic to expect an oil seal to seal the shaft totaly at such harsh operating temperatures and high speed.
Plus when the oil pressure to support the spinning shaft is no longer there after switch off, it must naturaly wear the seal more at the bottom than at the top, and by the same token, also the bearings.
This is why its important to let the engine idle directly after a high speed run before stopping it, and alow the turbo to wind down with a supply of oil to support the shaft.
Dave
Firthy
My Cars:

Post by Firthy »

It's nothing to worry about as long as it's not excessive – ie wrecking your air filter.
An 'expert' looked at my intercooler pipes and told me the turbo was cooked. Luckily the garage I subsequently took it too told me to calm down and only charged me one hour's labour.