Lexia Diagnostics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Lexia Diagnostics

Post by hirsty »

I have found a local auto electrics / diagnostic outlet near me who has the full Lexia Diagnostics Rig. I am considering booking a session to see what shows up. I am told I will get a print out after the session.
What will be tested and what, if anything will be reset ?
Known problems are ; 1) ABS light previously intermittent now on continuously.
2) Rad cooling fans only work on high speed @ 107 deg.
3) AL4 autobox has done 140k miles without oil change to my knowledge.
Cost is £35.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A basic check should be a global test which will check all the ECU's fitted to your car for fault codes, print them out & try to erase the faults.
I doubt a lexia check will show up any problems with the cooling fans & if there are no operating problems with the autobox it wont really show anything with that either. If there is a problem with an ABS sensor etc the fault will not erase till the fault has been rectified.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Keith,

With the Lexia in skilled hands everything with an ECU can be tested to a deep degree on a MK2 Xantia. That includes:

Engine,
Gearbox,
ABS,
Climate,
Alarm,
Suspension,
Air Bags.

And no doubt some things I've forgotten :roll:

Not only can it test but it can also clear stored faults.

The Mk1 Xantia is not quite so forthcoming as the Mk2 whern interrogated on the Lexia :( It's ECUs are less clever but you can still get all the vital information needed.

About the only thing it will not be able to tell you is what is causing your fan problem :(

It'll certainly identify in a jiffy your ABS problem :D

A Lexia is only a tool (albeit a very valuable one!) and will not tell you precisely what is wrong; the results do often need interpreting and understanding. What I'm trying to say is that it's no substitute for a properly skilled and trained engineer who is familiar with the car.

The AL4 appears to be similar in concept to the 4HP20 on the V6. I'd try to get the oil changed in it as soon as you can. The problem is that it cannot be fully drained due to the torque convertor retaining so much so it really needs several changes to get a good amount of the old stuff out.

I believe it uses the same horribly exotic (an expensive) oil as the 4HP20.

I'd say a good session was worth £35. Shame you don't live nearer to me. I charge free for a Lexia session but sadly, I have no printer on mine..

EDIT: Sorry Wheeler, we were both typing at the same time...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wheeler wrote:A basic check should be a global test which will check all the ECU's fitted to your car for fault codes, print them out & try to erase the faults.
I doubt a lexia check will show up any problems with the cooling fans & if there are no operating problems with the autobox it wont really show anything with that either. If there is a problem with an ABS sensor etc the fault will not erase till the fault has been rectified.

the lexia will only earase fault code if/when asked to do so

regards malcolm
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Jim; re your comment re price of atf for AL4, found a price on GSF (product ref 98046) which appears to be half the price of anywhere else.
Could you, or maybe Vince confirm that this is the correct product (and price)
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronut wrote:
wheeler wrote:A basic check should be a global test which will check all the ECU's fitted to your car for fault codes, print them out & try to erase the faults.

the lexia will only earase fault code if/when asked to do so

regards malcolm
I wasnt meaning that a global test erases the fault, I was just saying what you should get with a basic lexia session.

The citroen part number for the autobox oil is 973622 , it comes in 2 litre bottles & is £14.30+V per bottle. It is for the AL4 and the 4HP20 boxes. I dont know if anyone else does this oil apart from dealers & it aint worth using the wrong oil.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

hirsty wrote:Jim; re your comment re price of atf for AL4, found a price on GSF (product ref 98046) which appears to be half the price of anywhere else.
That appears to be normal 80W manual gearbox oil Keith. I reckon "AL4" in the description is a typo and should be GL4..

That'll do an AL4 'box absolutely no good at all...

The only stuff is ESSO LT 71141. You can get it from your local Citroen or Peugeot dealer but it'll cost you.

I'm currently sourcing a "best deal" on this and the best so far is £108 for 20L. Buy it and sell the unused portion perhaps?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok wheeler
its just that i thought to anyone that dose not know, it reads the fault code would be erased

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citronut wrote:ok wheeler
its just that i thought to anyone that dose not know, it reads the fault code would be erased

regards malcolm
I suppose it does read a bit like that.