"Gallic charm" = a fault i need help with please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Chaps....

My 95 Xantia TD VSX has developed a whine at slow speeds and sometimes at higher speeds......sounds like wheel bearing whine noise but the car has only done 116K on the clock and the only known fault is the front passenger side handbrake is binding on. Im currently investigating "trends" but i cant help thinking its related to the brakes problem....the noise stops when i lightly apply the brakes either by the pedal or by the handbrake lever....gently of course :wink:

Anyone come across this before and how can i fix it?

Thanks

P.s. I GOT A JOB TODAY AFTER 3 MONTHS OUT OF WORK - HOORAY :D :D :D Back at GSF car parts...... :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That would defo be the handbrake binding problem..
Had that on a former BX ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks Anders...is it a big job? Im still a bit skint :oops:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Well done Vince :D
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks Greg... :D

i presume you mean on the job situation not on the fault :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

binding front brakes on XANTS are usualy down to fractured outer hand brake cables, were the cable is flexed around the strut every time you turn the steering, i have just done both of mine and they are about 8/9 squid each from the GSF,

they are quite easy to fit just disconect the caliper ends, then pock your finger in through the hole in the side of the compensator box, and flick the cable end/s one at a time out of there seat, whilst pulling the outer cable towards the engine,

refitting feed the cable from under the wheel arch through its eyes, and guide it under the steering rack towards the compensator box, now aim the innere cable into the corect port and push the caliper end of the inner, then give it a tug to make sure it has locked into the compesator,

now reconect the caliper ends and adjust just before the point which the cable pulls on the caliper lever

this is at the front N/S end of the exhaust tunnel just up inside the heat shield, to gain access just remove the front heat shield fixing and bend the shield out of the way

regards malcolm

ps.
dose the new job mean we get extra dis c**t TEA HE
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks Malcolm.....

The outer casing of the handbrake cable on that side is worn down to the inner steel casing but i have been assured its ok....perhaps its not? I will get it changed :wink:

As for your "PS" comment......when i get settled in a branch i will let you know :wink: at the onset i will be dotting around a bit in different branches.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the outer plastic sleave is broken or bits missing in any way, wet and dirt will get into the inner and almost certainly cause it to bind,

one of mine dint look to bad on the car, but once i had removed it there was a section were you could see the metal coils of the outer had colapsed inside of the plastic sleave, this certainly made the cable bind

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

hands down then that will be it :wink: