Berlingo M59 (1.4) and it's gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pk7478
My Cars:

Berlingo M59 (1.4) and it's gearbox

Post by pk7478 »

Hi.
I have questions to Berlingo owners.
That's my first PSA car. Car was bought in July,2008.
As I understood my dealer, the difficulties during a turning on the gears It's a feature of MA5 gearbox. Does somebody have the similar problems?
May be you have a solution how to solve this problem?

Thank you.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Berlingo M59 (1.4) and it's gearbox

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D
pk7478 wrote: the difficulties during a turning on the gears It's a feature of MA5 gearbox.

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. Normally, the MA gearbox is a very sweet little gearbox that gives very little trouble. Are you experiencing trouble selecting gears?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pk7478
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo M59 (1.4) and it's gearbox

Post by pk7478 »

citrojim wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum :D
pk7478 wrote: the difficulties during a turning on the gears It's a feature of MA5 gearbox.

I'm sorry, I don't understand exactly what you mean by this. Normally, the MA gearbox is a very sweet little gearbox that gives very little trouble. Are you experiencing trouble selecting gears?
Hi Citrojim. Thank you.

I'll try to explain my trouble :D
This will be my first technical description in English.
Problem is that during turning on the gear(1st,2nd,3rd,4th), when the clutch pedal is fully down. We hear the crunch in MA-gearbox.
Not always, but crunch presents.
And there's one moment - when clutch pedal down and accelerator pedal is up, i see that turning speed of a crankshaft going down very slowly.
At this moment we're trying to turn on a gear.
Of course, at this moment I hear a crunch. Gears turning on very hard.
Several months ago dealer made update of firmware in ECU(Calculator).
This action helped, but not for a long time - 3 or 4 km.
I replaced a clutch cable - this did not help.
What recommendations can you give to me, where to look and what to do?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welome

turnning on the gear= changeing or selectting up or down the gears, crankshaft going down very slowly=RPM revs per minuite dropping,

dose your car have loos mats/carpets, if so first thing to check if the mat/carpet has moved up under the clutch pedel, as this will stop the pedel going to the end of its travel,

next is adjustment on your clutch cable, if so try adjustting that

regards malcolm
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

Hello Guys.

Problem was in a positioning of clutch peadal.
I did all like it was described in Haynes manual.
A little bit later I'll post a href to rapidshare dot com, where everyone can download service manual.
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

Here is a service manual for Partner/Berlingo M59 with Diesel and Petrol engines. This book will be very helpful for those, who standing with a
broken car on the road and there's nothing closer than 1000 km.
Please, use it:
http://rapidshare.com/files/194381408/P ... o.pdf.html
McFuzzi

Post by McFuzzi »

I wonder if pedal adjustment would make gearchanges smoother on my 1.9 -according to Haynes, a BE 4/5 box -but the Haynes instructions are brief & without illustrations- PK's link has expired -has anyone any advice?
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

McFuzzi wrote:I wonder if pedal adjustment would make gearchanges smoother on my 1.9 -according to Haynes, a BE 4/5 box -but the Haynes instructions are brief & without illustrations- PK's link has expired -has anyone any advice?
In a some cases - may be.
McFuzzi

Post by McFuzzi »

thanks -would you be so good as to update the rapidshare file? I've arranged my head & shoulders into the pedal space in a fashion Houdini would've admired, but have only as much understanding of what is going on there as Haynes give -not a lot!
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

Concerning smoothness of gearchages. Citroen published InfoRapid without any numbers and dates several years ago where you can find
recomendations to replace gear engagement rod for folloowing gearboxes:

Gearbox******Sparepart
MA********************2452 99
BE3*******************2452 A3
BE4*******************2452 A4

My car equipped with MA5 gearbox. After replacement of this rod there wasn't any problems with gearchanging.
Last edited by pk7478 on 22 Apr 2010, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
McFuzzi

Post by McFuzzi »

Thanks mate -this is the Haynes manual which I paid for -nice to have it on screen though, in spite that it's probably illegal to share it here... & I don't think it's as informative as it ought to be. The info you supply about the rod replacement is interesting, I will check that out -& perhaps go through the palaver of removing the console so that I can actually get at the clutch pedal...
pk7478
My Cars:

Post by pk7478 »

McFuzzi wrote:in spite that it's probably illegal to share it here...
Hypocrisy....
McFuzzi

Post by McFuzzi »

Hypocrisy? Maybe so -but I think knowledge shouldn't be copyritable -& it's great that people like you are willing to share your experience.
I'm clear that the lack of content in the Haynes book (& often incorrect info) makes the cover price a rip off in the first place anyway! & I'd be the last to wish to give you trouble -I had hoped that the manual you were pointing to would give the visual information about the pedal which Haynes lacks.