Xantia Suspension Heights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Xantia Suspension Heights

Post by Old-Guy »

There have been quite a number of posts from new Xantia owners asking about suspension heights - sometimes not realising that the flattened tops of the rear wheel arches should hide the tops of the rear tyres.

The proper way to check the suspension heights means getting under the car when it is on ramps and presumes that the suspension is working properly. In real life, the probabilities are that the ride height is correct or would be if the suspension was working properly.

Having done a proper check of the heights on my car (new spheres 3 months ago) - nicely within tolerance - out of interest, I measured the front and rear heights at each height setting to see what the differences are. The following may help other owners as a quick way of checking that the suspension heights at each setting are about right using only a tape measure, pen and paper:

1. Check that the tyre pressures are correct.

2. Park the car on a reasonably smooth, level, flat surface with the hand-brake on, engine idling and the front wheels pointing straight ahead. It's important that there's no side slope.

3. Set the suspension control lever between the front seats to Minimum (fully forward). Let the car settle fully then try bouncing the car at each end; it should feel rock solid. Measure and note the vertical distance from the ground to the top of the front and rear wheel arches.

4. Move the lever back one position to Normal. Wait for the suspension to stop moving; vigorously bounce the front and rear of the car a couple of times. Re-measure and note the wheel arch heights.

5. Move the lever back one more position to Intermediate then proceed as above for Normal.

6. Move the lever fully back to Maximum then proceed as for minimum.

The figures for my 95MY Estate on 185/65 R 15 Michelin Energy tyres were.

...........................Front........Rear
Minimum................593..........535
..difference...............62............50
Normal..................655..........585
..difference...............62............90
Intermediate.........717..........675
..difference...............16............15
Maximum...............733..........690

These figures are only a guide, and you would need to adjust for differences in front and rear rolling radii, measured in the difference between your Minimum figures and mine.
Last edited by Old-Guy on 23 Jan 2009, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A quick check is to look at the suspension arms, at the rear the should be parrallel with the road (level) and the same with the drive shafts at the front.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is best to make sure all your hight corector linkages are not partly or fully seized, before altering or making any adjustment to the clamps on your anti roll bars,

as these settings should not alter on there own even over years of not beeing touched

regards malcolm
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

After hitting a really bad dip on the farm road leading to my house,my xantia is certainly lower than it was at the front at what should be normal running height.It's not at the bottom setting but just a bit up from that.The first time I noticed was when I thought the headlights were out of adjustment! Could it be that the height correcter has moved on the anti roll bar? I know the link rod hasn't come off as A it's cable tied on and B the cars not sitting on the ground at the front,as it did when the link rod did fall off...

The car normally sits dead level.

Thanks, Jon.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe you H/C linkage has amost completly sized up, so when you hoit the dip on the road it asumed a lower position and stayed there, since this acurance have you tried bringing the susp right up with the manual lever in the car,

regards malcolm
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

It will move up and down with the lever in the car but will not assume the correct level,I've had this happen before mind you but this time I've not had it up on a ramp to have a look yet so maybe the wee link has popped off again.
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

citronut wrote:maybe you H/C linkage has amost completly sized up, so when you hoit the dip on the road it asumed a lower position and stayed there, since this acurance have you tried bringing the susp right up with the manual lever in the car,

regards malcolm
This is exactly what is happening to mine, the back is usually off about 1" (dirty HC, not siezed yet) and the front about 2 or 3" yet its still more comfortable than other cars :D

Im hoping to get the Xantia up on a mate's lift (yes, he has a car lift at home :shock: ) in the next couple of weeks to give them a good clean.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Exhume.dk

Re: Xantia Suspension Heights

Post by Exhume.dk »

Old-Guy wrote: The following may help other owners as a quick way of checking that the suspension heights at each setting are about right using only a tape measure, pen and paper
Excellent guide :)
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

It would appear that the ball-stud that the plastic link arm goes on to is missing off the corrector :shock: There's no doubt about it now,it'll have to be removed,stripped and cleaned up :( However,it looks like it can be repaired. :) All will become apparent when we get it off the car!

Cheers, Jon.
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo