Steerring suddenly went very heavy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

florence
My Cars:

Steerring suddenly went very heavy

Post by florence »

Hi
I have a Xantia diesal estate 1997 SX TD 1905cc - this morning it was raining very heavily and after I had gone about 500 hundred yards and turned sharp left the steering felt very heavy - it would hardly turn - I jumped out as I thought I had a flat - but the tyres were fine. After a while it seemed to correct itself, I'm taking it to a garage next week, does anyone know what the problem is so I can let the garage know. Is it dangerous to drive?
Many thanks for your help...
Flo.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Flo i would say there are a couple of possible reasons

A flat tyre is one, but if it recovered then I dont think thats it

Loss of hydraulic pressure is the most common - I think the brakes are the first in line to get the pressure, followed by the suspension and then the steering - for obvious reasons.. the steering should be the first to 'suffer' i think

some reasons for pressure loss..
a slipping auxilary belt after a flood ?
a leak in the steering rack (unlikely for various reasons)
low LHM fluid - not enough fluid to do all hydraulic systems
I will admit my knowledge of citroen hydraulics is a lot less than some on here, who will be along shortly to help more :)
something wrong with the front accumulater sphere..

another possibility, unlikely, is a failing rack pinion valve.. but I woulnd expect it to go suddenly, and less for it to work again..

John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Most likely the auto tensioner on the aux belt is past its best, and it got a soaking causing enough belt slip to stop the suspension pump making enough flow for the steering. Might need a new tensioner and belt.
Richard W
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I think Richard meant the hydraulic pump. Although there is only 1 pump unit, it contains (on all but very early 'sinker' Xantias) 2 or more pump units, one of which provides power for the steering, and one or more provide hydraulic pressure for brakes and suspension.

I agree that the most likely explanation is a slipping auxiliary belt. Unless you know it has been replaced recently, for the few pounds involved have the belt replaced and tensioned correctly.

This belt is vital on a Xantia, which relies entirely on hydraulic pressure for power steering and BRAKES. Loss of hydraulic means not just no power assistance, but NO BRAKES AT ALL - stand on the brake pedal until it bends, but without hydraulic pressure, absolutely nothing will happen. The accumulator spheres (in good condition) are intended to provide enough reserve hydraulic pressure to bring the car safely to a stop from high speed, but that's it - time to call the AA.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The brakes should be the last to go, suspension first, then steering then brakes.

If you have lost hydraulic pressure while at low speed you may not have been aware of the suspension failing, especially when your attention was diverted by the failing power steering.

As it is clearly a safety issue - if you can't steer properly you may end up in a collision - it needs attention straight away.

As previously mentioned it will likely be the auxiliary belt slipping and failing to run the pump but has also been mentioned, the accumulator should carry a reserve and this may also be defective and need attention at the same time - fortunately not an expensive item and relatively simple to replace.

Do take it to someone who knows Citroen hydraulics though, they tend to baffle mechanics not familiar with them and they could make things worse and likely overcharge for a fairly simple remedy turning into a major job.

If you give us your approximate location one of the forum members in that area may be able to recommend a repair facility, there are also a few posted in the Recommended Garages & Services forum below.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

By far the most likely cause is the pump belt slipping as previously suggested. You probably drove through some water which got on the belt, that would explain the sudden loss. The belts need to be fairly tight.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Old-guy wrote:I think Richard meant the hydraulic pump
Semantics....my Cit hydraulic experice goes back to about 1980 with GS's and BXs with no PAS, so I always refer to it as the suspension pump :lol: I suppose on later Xantias it's really the PAS pump since 75% of the capacity is dedicated to the steering!
myglaren wrote: the accumulator should carry a reserve and this may also be defective and need attention at the same time
Irrelevant for PAS - even on single output pumps the PAS comes off before the accumulator.
myglaren wrote:The brakes should be the last to go, suspension first, then steering then brakes
This doesn't really apply to twin output Xantias either. The PAS will be first to go as it is very fluid hungry, and there's no reserve - lose flow from pump and PAS goes. The suspension will not 'go' since it is fitted with antisink. The light will come on for low pressure then the brakes will fade once the accumulator is spent - but the suspension will stay up -this can lead to the rather alarming situation where ingoring the stop light does not give the 'flat on the floor' feeling of earlier cits that forced you to stop, and the first 'real' indication is when you try and stop and can't.

Anyway, miles OT now - aux belt and tensioner on the OP's car needs checking first!
Last edited by RichardW on 23 Jan 2009, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

It might also be the lower steering joint, Nr. 4 in the picture. A WD-40 shower may help, but when the seals are already KO, it does not help for too long.
Thanx to Chozee from citroeny.cz for the picture.

Karel
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Just a thought.
The OP said that they turned sharp left.A test to see if the return filters are clogged up is to give the steering a sharp 'dig' and if they are the PAS will hardly work.As the LHM warms up with use this effect is less noticeable.
Worth a test I would say.In case I've not made it clear,start the car from cold ,remaining stationary, turn the steering wheel as fast as possible and if it is hard to move the filters need cleaning.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)