Questions: Suspension, Engine mount, interior lights and Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Questions: Suspension, Engine mount, interior lights and Oil

Post by Toby_HDi »

I am currently going over the car now that it is running again and trying to sort all the small things that bother me. Just a few questions then to help me on my way

First up, one that happened only tonight. I went out to look at something and noticed the front of the car sitting low. It was only driven yesterday and has been fine before. It had new spheres all round a couple of months ago. I do need to swap the Hydraflush out for LHM though. The regulator bleed screw is nice and tight so it's not this. Why would this have happened? I hope something is not wrong after I've just sorted a big issue.

Secondly, the right hand engine mount. How does one remove the big centre bush in the casting? I am assuming a press, however I do not have access to one of those. I replaced the smaller bush as it was cracked and bought the larger one at the same time as I thought it might as well be done. Not sure how to replace it though.

Next, my interior lights are temperamental. The driver's side one has always been a problem and sometimes it is necessary to hit it to make it work :lol:, the passenger one was fine but now does not work. This may just be a bulb though. What I would like to know is; Is this a common problem and is there anything to be done to to rectify it? I did try to gently bend terminals last time I took the lamps apart but this clearly has not worked.

Lastly, I want to do an oil change in the next week or so, I want to do this primarily to flush the system before I change the oil again as part of a service. I would change filters on both occasions. Should I be using a type of oil system flush or is just changing twice in quick succession just as effective (even if I use cheap stuff as the flush)? Am I right in thinking that the HDi requires semi-synthetic 10w-40?? Is fully synthetic 5w-40 suitable or not?

I know these seem simple questions but I just want to get these niggles sorted so I can enjoy Xantia ownership properly again. Just wanted other peoples opinions really...

Thanks
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Questions: Suspension, Engine mount, interior lights and

Post by red_dwarfers »

Toby_HDi wrote: First up, one that happened only tonight. I went out to look at something and noticed the front of the car sitting low. It was only driven yesterday and has been fine before. It had new spheres all round a couple of months ago. I do need to swap the Hydraflush out for LHM though. The regulator bleed screw is nice and tight so it's not this. Why would this have happened? I hope something is not wrong after I've just sorted a big issue.
Mine has started to do that the past couple of months so I'd be interested to hear the response too. Though, would it be anything to do with the anti sink valve not snapped shut fully, meaning hydraflush?
Toby_HDi wrote:
Next, my interior lights are temperamental. The driver's side one has always been a problem and sometimes it is necessary to hit it to make it work :lol:, the passenger one was fine but now does not work. This may just be a bulb though. What I would like to know is; Is this a common problem and is there anything to be done to to rectify it? I did try to gently bend terminals last time I took the lamps apart but this clearly has not worked.
Mine started doing that a couple of days ago too :o Haven't had chance to have a proper look yet.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

To answer your oil query. I would just do the change twice. First change .....take the old filter off and pour it out. Put new oil in it then screw it back on making sure there are no leaks.Next change drain the oil and then do the new oil and new filter. Purflux are the best filters at £2.99 from GSF

I would use a good 15/40 mineral oil for HDI just as I do for my XUD. That oil changed regular will allow big mileages to be run up. Best buying 20ltre drum. Total Rubia Shell Rotella Bp Vanellus or Millers Multifleet......all top notch and used on trucks which cost the price of a new house.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The bush is not to difficult to get out, its refitting it thats a bit of a problem.
To remove it, put the bracket in a vice and useing a small cold chisel, bend the outer ring of the bush inwards, once you get it in a little way it will reduce the diameter and loosen it.

Refitting is a little more tricky, ideally you need something like a socket that will sit on the metal rim, then pass a long bolt right through the bush and housing and fit a large washer on the other end, you should then be able to wind the bush into place by tightening the nut. Make sure that it goes in square or it will jam.

The other way, which I used on the lower bush, the housing of which you cant easily remove, is to place the bush in the freezer for a couple of hours then heat up the housing with a blow torch, don't overdo it or it will melt! then quickly place the bush into the housing and with a socket over it so you only hit the metal part, give it a few good wallops with a heavy hammer.

I didn't manage to get mine right in but near enough.

Peter.N.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Had the same problem with the interior lights on mine. The contacts degrade over time and need cleaning. Be careful you dont damage the wires on the side of the capless bulb as they are delicate.

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Anyone else?

The suspension still puzzles me...

Wondering if there is an alternative method for the engine mount that does not require a vice as I do not have one

Will look at and clean the contacts in the interior lights at some point

As for the oil, I am thinking do the chang twice as mentioned. I'm just wondering if mineral oil is recommended for the HDi, I always thought semi-synthetic was the one to go for? What about fully synthetic?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Personally, and this is only my opinion and not based on meticulous research, I would only use the specified oil.

I have a gallon of AC Delco fully synthetic at whatever weight is specified - I forget now and the container is buried, never used. Bought it to top up with and it has been completely redundant.

I would follow in my former practice of changing the oil and filter, see what sort of a mess it is in for future reference, then change it again after a couple of weeks, then again after another couple of weeks if the second change is at all gloopy, until it comes out clean. After that just stick to the recommended interval or slightly less unless any other factors present themselves.

At least you will never harm an engine by being over zealous about oil changes while being too lax with them is rarely good in the log run.

If you do a lot of short trips where the engine doesn't get properly warmed through I would (and do*) increase the frequency of oil and filter changes.

*not personally personally, you understand. Not any more anyway. I get someone else to do the actual changes. IR Lazy :(
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You are only wasting your money using fully synthetic in a diesel engine.
Even Millers best totally dedicated diesel lube is a semi synthetic. The only reason Citroen would specify a semi synth oil on that engine is to increase service intervals in order to attract lazy customers.

Changing oil regular as you suggest negates this........ so semi synth isn`t needed either. Also lots of semi synthetics are a con as they have different amounts of chemical esther (synthetic). The "semi" means nothng.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2