Xantia does not start pionting up hill

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robmarshall
My Cars:

Xantia does not start pionting up hill

Post by robmarshall »

I have a 1999 Xantia 1.9td . When I park it for more than an hour facing up hill it wont start. If I park facing downhill it starts???? Any Clues ??
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'd think it's an air leak in your fuel line. Diesels won't run with a lot of air in the fuel. As gravity pulls the fuel back towards the tank (on uphill parking) air is being sucked in somewhere.

Does priming the fuel bulb make any difference? If you have a clear fuel line from the fuel filter to around the back of the pump, look for air bubbles as you're priming the bulb. Chances are you'll also see bubbles when the engine is running.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, I would agree. If you can park it facing down a steep enough hill, you may be able to see fuel leaking, that's where your air leak will be when pointing up hill.
deian

Post by deian »

just to clear the obvious... when you say it doesn't start... does the starter turn over?

if it does then mike and peters theories will make sense.

to help it start if that is the problem.. pump the priming bulb to suck some diesel back, should help a bit
robmarshall
My Cars:

Post by robmarshall »

Deffo air... Went to locate the priming bulb and it was not there.... Just a joint in the fuel line where it used to be... Ended up bleeding from an injector and it seems better. I will try when it is colder as it seems to start better when warm anyway. Also the fuel line is black so cant see the fuel or possible air in the line. I will post an update soon.

You gotta love Citroens dont you .. :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

check the state of the leak off pipes between the injectors, if they are hard, then it'll be an idea to replace them.
When they get hard they crack and can let in air.

For a clear fuel pipe between the filter and the pump, I got some fish tank air pipe that did the trick beautifully.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool