Xsara Rear suspension knocking / bumping on rough roads

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Xsara Rear suspension knocking / bumping on rough roads

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hello again guys.

I have noticed recently that the back end of my car swerms about when i go round corners if ii meet a bump, and also feels reminisant of having a flat tyre or similar at any sort of speed if a minor change in direction is made like on the Motorway, it sort of feels lose at the back end. The harse bumping and knocking always comes from the passenger side back.

I have been reading through some off the common problems pages, and there is a lot of information about the rear mouting bushes? for ZX's that tend to go, or the swing arm bearings.

Question is, does this sound to you like the rear mouting bushes / arm bearings need replacing, and if so, is it the same as doing this job on a ZX? Would this be a MOT failure?

The car has ABS and rear discs if this makes any difference.

Any help would be appreciated. MOT isn't due until March, but i want to get things done in advance so spread the cost.

Cheers guys,

Rob.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check the shock absorbers :!:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi,

I don't think it's the shocks. Have looked at them and no signs of weeping or anything. Doing the bounce test it seems fine. It goes over speed bumps for example fine, the rear suspension seems well damped, it's just bumps / knocks on rough roads and feels twitchy if i turn the wheel from side to side slightly at any rate of speed.

It feels a lot different to my other half's 306 in that respect.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Any Ideas folks?

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to just follow the ZX principle of rear sub frame bush replacement? or is it a different set up?

Incidentially, could i get the bushes from a factors, or would it be a trip to the dealers?

Please help folks. I need to get this sorted ASAP really.

Thanks guys,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the bushs that are mentiponed in this forum are the sub frame mountting bushs, all the PSA models with toursion bar suspension do have these bushs unbond them self's when they get a bit old, there are for on a rear sub frame one on each front cornner and the same oin both rear cornners,

usualy the rear most ones let go first in turn this strains the front pair, and helps to rip them away also,

the rear rear ones are very easy to fit and the front rears are a bit harder to fit but not much,

the other thing these cars suffer with is the trailing are bearings breaking up, the trouble with this is it usualy ends up cutting into the ends of the cross tube ans toursion bars them selfs,

the way to check for the later is stand away at the rear of the car and look at the angle of the rear wheels, if the lean diferantly or quite a lot, it is almost certain your arm bearings are cream crackerd

the easyest fix is fit a good second hand rear axle

regards malcolm
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks Malcolm for the reply. Much appreciated.

Think I will get on to changing those asap then.

Thanks again.
Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also one other way to check rear arm bushs is look up between the inner wheel arch and the top inside of each rear tyre to compaire the gap

regards malcolm