Possibly faulty fuel cut off solenoid Xanta 1.9TD.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Possibly faulty fuel cut off solenoid Xanta 1.9TD.

Post by Keith J »

Hello all,

I am just after a bit of advice from you lovely people.

I went to Sainsburys this morning. I have had no noticeable problems with the car. I came out it wouldn't start. I turned to key and there was nothing at all although all of the fascia warning lights were on as is usual before the engine starts.

After lots of looking around and pulling fuses etc. I was stumped, so I repeatedly kept turning the ignition key on and off and eventually it sprang into life and started and I got home.

I got home and turned the ignition off and had intermittent problems getting it to start though lots of on/off ignition key turning seems to do it eventually. A few times after turning the ignition off, it runs on for a while (about 30 secs) which makes me suspect the fuel cut off solenoid on the injector pump. There is also one relay in the engine compartment fuse box. Is this related to the fuel pump as it seems to click and then the engine stops if it has been running on for a bit? It may just be a sticky relay.

Is there anywhere else I should also suspect and check before I 100% say it is the solenoid.

Thanks

Keith
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Keith

The relay clicking you hear is probably the glow plug post heating relay.. its usually leaves the glows on for half a minute after car has started (unless you give it some pedal) that could explain that click (there are no relays to do with the fuel pump)

the non starting sounds like either, a dody starter solenoid, a bad positive feed to it, a bad negative away from it, or somethig amiss with the igntion switch.. an immobiliser issue is also a possibility..

although reading your post again, the running on could certainly be connected to the non starting.. thinking igniton switch again here...

I have no time left right now, but others may be more use :)
John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's cranking but won't start then it's possibly the stop solenoid. If nothing at all is happening when you turn the key, then I too wold suspect the ignition switch. What age is the car? Is it fitted with a key pad immobiliser, or is it a MK11 and therefore fitted with a key based immobiliser?
Richard W
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

It is not cranking when it plays up, there is no life at all but I do not at this time suspect the starter motor solenoid.

The ignition switch is looking more suspect I think.

It has a keypad immobiliser.

It is a 1996 Xantia 1.9TD estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

do you re/enter you key pad code every time you have tried to start the car, if so i would suspect your imobaliser, or also i think the starter has a conection through the glow plug timer box, so see if there is a bad conection there

regards malcolm
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

I do not need to re-enter the code I can turn off the ignition and turn it back on fairly soon and it is ok.

Ok, where is the Glow plug timer box located please?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The keypad imobiliser doesent stop the car cranking though.