Citroen Xantia 1.8i Dimension 1996 Petrol Hatchback

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikep
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia 1.8i Dimension 1996 Petrol Hatchback

Post by mikep »

The car has started to mis-fire (stutter) at low revs in low gears and on hills. Seems to drive okay in higher revs and higher gears. Can anyone give me an idea what might be wrong?
mikep

Citroen Xantia auto sx 1996
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

could be the lambda possibly I've just changed mine and it appears to have worked out. I run lpg and I think the lambda was/is not used with the lpg controller I found that after 300 yards or so it played up until I had done a mile when the gas cut-in. If I pumped the throttle I could keep it going and that also If I kept the revs up well things were better. I think pumping the accelerator pedal enriched things and with the higher revs the fuel injection again gave a richer mixture.
with luck there will be someone who can give you a definite answer rather than just a questionable theory.
There is a recent lambda posting when several people kindly helped me on this subject.
I would like to give deian credit for getting the answer right in my case .
I mistakenly thought the lambda did not come into play until everything got well and truly hot. Another factor that influenced me was that mine was so truly rusted in it was not a simple job and resulted in the destruction of the original sensor.
anyway best of luck and try and get a replacement with the identical connecting plug, also if you try there are special sockets which will enable you to re-use your existing sensor if it was not the problem.
cheers.
patrick

1.8 16v along with others!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if it is a lambda fault you could try removeing it and clean it out with carb cleaner, as they can become sooted up

regards malcolm
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on.
mikep

Citroen Xantia auto sx 1996