Installing additional speakers...routing of cables question?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Installing additional speakers...routing of cables question?

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hi guys...me again.

I have just obtained some extra in car entertainment that was going for a song from a good friend of mine, by way of a small (subtle) sub and some better speakers for my Xsara.

I am going to mount the speakers in a "stealth shelf" in the back and the sub and associated box containing a small amp in the boot.

( I am not a boy racer that likes to go booming round quiet residential roads at night by the way, just like to listen to music clearly on my way to and from work, and unfortunately the original speakers are not the best at a raised volume when travelling on the M'Way etc)

Question is, would it be easier to route the cables (one phono with 4 jacks, and 1 permanent live) down the sills of the car, or could they be routed up the c pillar, along and behind the edge of the roof liner and down the a pillar.

I am just worried that routing cables down the sills, could pottentially cause problem with airbags, and also the trim doesn't look easy to remove from the lower part of the b pillar without breaking it.

Also, where would be the best place to route the permanent live through the bulk head, so as not to cause any possible danger of short circuits and fire!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as ever!!

Thanks again.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90