Diesel timing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KAD

Diesel timing

Post by KAD »

Xantia 1.9 TD 1994
Pump timing using a timing light- Is the timing mark on the front pulley and is it at zero degrees? The figure I have is 12.5 deg (AVL)?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No such timing marks on these engines, where would you get the signal from to fire the strobe, unless you have access to a timing light that can pick up the injection pulse through the pipe wall, they exist but AFAIK they are very expensive.
The usual method is static timing using a dial test indicator and piston travel adapter fixed to the pump, the reading (0.66mm ABDC) is taken from the pump piston on the Bosch pump.
Dave
KAD

Post by KAD »

I have managed to make the TDC marks on the bottom pulley by using
the flywheel/crankshaft setting bar and a blob of white paint. I am using a diesel timing light which is triggered from a piezo-electric sensor that clamps to a fuel pipe. It's a lot quicker than fitting a DTI! In the end the pump timing was set OK at 12 deg, so I had no need to adjust it. Whole job only took 15 mins.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmmm.......if the timing had been out what then? it can't be adjusted with the engine running, then its trial and error or out with the dti.
Just out of interest though is the light yours and if so is it expensive.
Dave
KAD

Post by KAD »

It is a Technotest diesel timing light and they do cost more than a petrol item, about £500 I think.
I have adjusted the timing with the engine 'running' in the past by loosening all but the front nut of the pump, and then tapping it round carefully as you would with a petrol dizzy, stopping and starting the engine between adjustments. There is not an awful lot of movement in the pump anyway. No it's not my timing light, I borrowed it, the pick-ups that go on the pipe cost £100 each and not all pipes are the same size. On the Xantia the pipe is 6.0mm dia, which is the common size.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

'ang on a minute. Piezo sensor that clamps onto a pipe? This ain't rocket science. There must be a way of doing this with some simple cheap and readily available kit. The first thing that springs to mind is a record player cartridge or a crystal earpiece. I'll do some experiments and get back to y'all