ZX Volcane questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i had my N/A 1.9 D BX head gas flowed a few years ago whilst it was off doing a head gasket, that made quite a big diferance in get up and go, but not much more top end, although were PSA cars dont like driving round town in 4th gear, after the gas flowing this BX was quite happy to do so,

also the other thing you can do if your's has a cat is de/cat it, as i did that to my 1.9TD XANT and that made a big diferance

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

At risk of making Andrew (andmcit) see red, a transplant from a dead Activa or TCT Estate is possible and they can be tuned quite simply to liberate a few more horses by upping the boost a tad and putting on a freer flowing exhaust.
That has to rank as borderline heresy. Go and stand in the corner Jim. :D
volcane_nut
My Cars:

Post by volcane_nut »

as the activa or tct use the same engine then is there much involved in the swap? I'm guessing i'd need to get a custom downpipe made up as they wont make them for my car. What else i need? The ECU from the xantia? Sounds like a nice summer project, now i just need to find a nice cheap xantia breaking for engine and parts needed.
96 ZX Volcane 2.0i 8v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: That has to rank as borderline heresy. Go and stand in the corner Jim. :D
:lol: I'm surprised Andrew has not sent the angry mob in Steve, armed with spheres and boiling LHM for my controversial remark!!!

I should have said in my earlier post that the practice of robbing an Activa or a TCT Estate of it's engine is severely frowned upon in these parts and should only be contemplated if the car in question is genuinely beyond salvage. Anything less and the aforementioned angry mob will be sent in search of anyone wontonly destroying an Activa or TCT estate that could be brought back to good, productive life.

Now, some obviously are in a state of genuine BER and if you can find one in such a state then an engine swap may be considered.

Technically, quite tricky. The problems likely to arise is mating the BE3 gearbox to it as the Activa and TCT use the ML5, which you cannot use in a ZX. Arranging a clutch and arranging an intercooler will present difficulties. You are right that you'd need a custom downpipe and would need the ECU and keypad with a known code. The RFID immobiliser in a MK2 would be a major problem and will not transplant at all easily. Only the transplant of a MK1 ECU/keypad is really an option.

The best option of all of course is to ditch the ZX and get an Activa or TCT Estate and enjoy it properly. get an Activa and you'll be hooked for life.

Sorting out a half-good Activa will be far easier than doing a transplant. Good Activas can still be got for relatively small sums of money.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
volcane_nut
My Cars:

Post by volcane_nut »

I've always liked xantias and BX's but its the suspension thats always put me off, scaremonger stories about high repair costs, etc. My dad had 2 BX's (both for about 5+ years) and he had a few issues with them and he's been a mechanic for the best part of 35 years, but as i've been reading through the forum i can see that there is a lot of knowledge here that would be available if the need arose.

How much are activas or TCT's fetching these days? they sound tempting. Whats the difference between the two of them? What does the activa stand for?

so the engine swap is a little more difficult than i first thought. I guess i could always go back to an AX GT and sling in a Saxo Engine (vts or vtr) cheaply for a speed thrill.
96 ZX Volcane 2.0i 8v
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Possibly as hard as fitting the engine would be trying to fit wheels to grip with all the torque! AFAIK 195 tyres are the most that will go on a ZX, without obscene modification.

Activas are fun, but TOTALLY different to a Volcane. The Volcane is like a go-kart in comparison. Both have their good and bad points, but I can't honestly say I don't enjoy the Volcane after driving the Activa.

If it failed on the Brake Pressure Regulator leaking, I've got a spare somewhere you can have for a good price cost. (Nearly £55 from Citroen, and about £40 from Euro Car Parts if I recall correctly). :)

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This is a good place to start your introduction to the Activa
You will never find one quite like this but you will get the idea.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

myglaren wrote:This is a good place to start your introduction to the Activa
You will never find one quite like this but you will get the idea.
Sorry, is that about a car? I saw the girl on the horse... :D

That would be GREAT until it went wrong! 4 wheel steering, and presumably DIRAVI as well. A good introduction to the talents of the XANTIA Activa is here!

Or the same but more daring / stupid* here.

James

* Delete as appropriate
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Xantia has passive rear wheel steering - like the ZX, Peugeot 306 and loads of others - its only carefully positioned soft subframe mounts.

Xantia Activa does not have DIRAVI - they're heavy enough without it!
jeremy
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

jeremy wrote:Xantia Activa does not have DIRAVI - they're heavy enough without it!
No, but the concept car in the link myglaren posted looks like it may have. It also has active 4-wheel steering. :D

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto