Xantia hydraulic leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

randomx
My Cars:

Xantia hydraulic leak

Post by randomx »

Hi All
Seem to have a leak on the metal pipe coming from the right hand sphere, the pipe bends down and is bolted to the body of the car in the engine compartment, seems to be leaking right where its bolted.
I presume I have to replace this pipe, looks like it travels behind the engine and connected to a manifold with other pipes. Im wondering if this is a difficult task and how I would bleed this section of the system after replacing the pipe. Also is this unusual to have a leak like this ?
Regards Mike.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mike,
Quite common. Where the quarter-moon clip holds the pipe??
There are two variations of pipe available from the main dealers with slightly different shapes. I think either will fit with a bit of bending.
Anyway our local main dealers say they've never got one back in exactly the original position. I reckon these pipes are the first thing put in the engine compartment when the car is built.
Here's a weird one. This pipe leaked in exactly the same place on my own car nearly two years ago, badly enough for a passer-by to comment on the small pool of LHM where I was parked.
I was so busy I removed the clip and eased the pipe away from the wing to see how bad it was, stocked up with LHM in the boot, ordered the new pipe section...but kept using the car.
After a few days the leak seemed almost nothing so I taped the replacement pipe safely within the engine compartment and kept on driving. After ten days the leak had stopped.
Shortly after we went on holiday and covered 500 miles, it still didn't leak. Some 18 months further on, and with a 1000 mile holiday behind us it is still OK. The replacement pipe is still taped under the bonnet just in case it did fail somewhere out of the way.
Spooky but true, how on earth did a leak on such a high pressure line stop?
David
randomx
My Cars:

Post by randomx »

David
Thanks for the response, what about bleeding the system afterwards is there a need,
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

No, there will be no ned to bleed it. The suspension side is self bleeding.