Xantia Fuel Cooler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Xantia Fuel Cooler

Post by KP »

Mine has been bodged in the past by the looks of it, can this be bypassed temporarily as mine has cuaght something today and whatever has caught it has tore one connector clean off and the connectors aren't available on their own from citroen :(

Any quick replies appreciated as want to try and bodge this so i can at least get to work for a few days before really fixing it??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fuel cooler????

What's one of those then Will?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Hi Jim,

It sits on the fuel return line and is like a section of metal with lots of holes in it and has the pipe looped on one side a sew times befopre returning it to the tank.
Kinda like an oil cooler.

I just need to know if i can get away with a small pipe to bypass it for a few days in this weather while i wait for a replacement part or leave it long term?

dam HDi things :(
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Am I right in thinking what you describe is a 'cassette' on the cylinder head?

It's more a fuel heater!!

This causes issues on TD's such as the Cx and Xm and the simple fix is a
bypass permanently with no ill effects on the running of the car. If you
were in a damned cold climate permanently (not just the cold snap we're
enduring at the moment) it may cause fuelling issues with a waxing up
of the supply but of course you could add a pep of unleaded to improve
matters!

Andrew
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Had a similar problem myself a few weeks ago, own fault. The fuel cooler is in the return line so is not under much pressure. I managed to bodge it with some plastic tube for the 24 hours it took the Cit dealer to get a new pipe in. The pipe I"d broken was the cooler to tank pipe, surprisingly cheap at about £8 and only a 10 min job to fit.

Rory
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP wrote:Hi Jim,

It sits on the fuel return line and is like a section of metal with lots of holes in it and has the pipe looped on one side a sew times befopre returning it to the tank.
Kinda like an oil cooler.

I just need to know if i can get away with a small pipe to bypass it for a few days in this weather while i wait for a replacement part or leave it long term?

dam HDi things :(
I take it this is something only fitted to HDi's?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

HDi only - didn't have on on the 1.9 or 2.1 TDs.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Fingers crossed my fix holds then :o)

Its like a little radiator and the only reason i can see for it is the immense heat generated by putting fuel under such high pressure.

I use some super glue to hold the two bits together, one hard plastic the other slighty softer plastic that is the fuel pipe. then used araldite on the outside to weld the things together. used a lamp under it last night to heat it up and make it set quicker. now all i need to do is get the mounting screws and body plugs from citroen as there is only one holding it on at the moment about 2-3" above the ground which is no good long term.

I'm definately going back to a 1.9td after this as it just wanrs me as to how expensive HDi's can be if they go wrong. Dont get me wrong it may be a tiny bump in the road of ownership but i dont really want to take the chance of more expensive parts dying...

Now all i need is a 1.9td exclusive hatch or estate...
Saw one on fleabay but its already got loads of bits missing :o(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This time of year you can probably get away with byapssing the cooler as long as you keep the tank pretty full and you are not doing lots of balls out runs. I'd not be tempted to run like that in the long term, as presumably the cooler is fitted to protect the HP pump from overheating (it must work hard getting the diesel up to 20,000 psi!). Must be fitted to 000's of HDis - you might get one from a scrappers?
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Local scrapyard dont have any HDi Estates in but my temp fix has failed. :(

Im guessing the piles of snow that had ice'd in the works car park in the last few days had caught it a little and made the cooler loose again.

The problem i have is that the cooler looks and seems perfect. The problem is the feed pipe into it has the connector on it which is some form of push type and is plastic and has cracked :(

The pipe from citroen, is £55 +VAT and the cooler is £60+VAT...

Just trying to see if i can get one form someone breaking an estate HDi on fleabay. the pipe and all held about 7 litres of fuel in as well as i let it drain a bit last night and filled up a 4 litre tub and this morning a 3 litre milk bottle was full to the brim with the fuel as well :(

Could do with a hdi with a burgered engine for spares at the rate lol
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hi KP,
the fuel in HDis is pre-heated to some 70 degrees C before it enters the high pressure common rail pump. The pre-heating is controlled by a thermostat valve in the fuel filter housing. If necessary, the fuel is heated in a small housing on the head gasket/thermostat housing.

So, if the whole content of the diesel tank does not get warmer than say 70 degrees, you can bypass the cooler on the return pipe with no adverse effects.

As I remember, the ECU checks the fuel temperature (do not know whether before or after the CR pump) to see, if it does not boil (some 95-100 deg.C.).

In these winter days on the northern hemisphere, I would not expect any problems with the bypassed cooler.

Karel
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I've tried to bypass it but unfortunately the pipe is such that it is not something that can easily be bypassed :(

Going to try araldite again this evening and then restrapping it to the car with an extra two screws into mount points and a bit beefier screws as well this time. would have been better if there were some bolts welded onto chasis and then you just could use nuts to secure it on. :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The genuine part is : 1579.Y2 Fuel cooler
The pricetag in my local currency suggests your price level would be approx £70 exvat.
Not too bad.

Its the same part for all series 1 2.0/2.2 HDI's.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Hi
There's a 2ndhand fuel cooler for a xsara HDI on Fleabay at the moment for about £36 all in ('buy it now'). I'd guess its quite possible that citroen would use the same part on different cars so might be worth a look?
Its described as a fuel pre-heater but I'm sure its the cooler you are referring to, and seems to have some pipework attached to it.

Not sure how to abbreviate url links, but the ebay item No. is 350088253828

Hope you get it sorted

Greg
2001 Xsara HDI 110 150,000 & counting!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

CORRECTION :!:

The above part no fuel cooler is for the C5 series 1 + 2.
(thats why the mysterious "sereis 1" comment in that posting :roll: )

The correct part for Xantia series 2 with HD engines :
1579.P2 COOLER approx £60 exvat.

Donno whats the difference on the 2 parts. Guess it would be the size.
They look exactly identical on service.net schematic.

The Xsara one still looks identical, but appears to only fit the Xsara and Berlingo range of HDI models.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image