citrobics stop light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

citrobics stop light

Post by arkweld »

When doing a session of citrobic's , at the "highest level the stop-light fails to go out ' even after leaving there for a good while . There is also a matter of seconds when going from "lowest to drive height when stop-light appears though maybe this is normal .
It's an Activa and usually take's a good while to get fully pumped . Anyone know wether the stop-light is an issue in the citrobic's when all else seems fine, Much thank's
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

On "highest" you dont have any suspension properties and it is a workshop setting so the stop light should remain on.

From my experience dont put too much worry into the Stop light unless it comes on when driving.

Often on the Xantias i have had (3) including current, the stop light goes out when you know the system isnt fully pressurised. For example when rising from bottom setting my light goes out well before the car is ready to be driven.

Baic rule of thumb is:
Drive the car in normal setting and slowly in the first high setting as per the cars handbook and make sure its stopped rising before setting off and stopped dropping down from top to normal before driving.

The stop light when driving tells you you have an LHM leak or the level is too low.....also if the car is overheating badly (happened to me when the headgasket blew on a petrol one i had)

:)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
arkweld
My Cars: Xantia Activa

Post by arkweld »

So all is fine then , also was'nt sure you could ride in "first high setting" all be it slowly in a Xant . Had known of this with the XM . Though have not needed it for any reason just yet .
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The stop light with regards to the suspension comes on when there isn't enough pressure, because you're raising the car from low to high, and when there isn't enough LHM in the resevoir.

As vince says, the stop light can go out before the car has risen to the normal drive height, and that is quite normal because it remains on while pressure is building, and reaches pressure before the hight correctors have reacted and raised the car.

If you've set the suspension to high and have the stop light on, it's time to check the LHM level. The red/orange "hat" in the inspection bulb on the resevoir should be between the two lines when the suspension is set to high. If it's below then you need to add LHM. If it's above, then your problem lies somewhere else (too much LHM isn't a problem, it just means it will spill out as you go round corners or set the suspension on low).

Also, as vince mentioned, it can come on if there are coolant issues. Cassy for instance shows her stop light if the coolant level drops low (normally when driving) even though the temperature shows normal.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

My understanding and experience (in italics) with 'ordinary' suspension S1s is that the STOP light should come on if:

a. the hydraulic pressure is too low for the brakes to operate properly,
before I replaced a flat accumulator sphere, up to a minute or more after starting. Only once did I drive off with it on; no brakes - just missed next door's car!

b. the LHM level in the reservoir is very low (empty?),

c. the engine temperature is well above (95-100ºC) normal but below boiling,
first fast motorway trip (new thermostat needed); the temperature was falling by the time we rolled to a stop on the hard shoulder and Stop went out after a minute or two - no harm evident after 22,000 miles

d. the coolant level in the header tank is really low,
while bleeding after re-filling with coolant

e. oil pressure fails, (engine probably ruined)

f. the engine management ECU (if there is one) senses some other catastrophic fault.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is not corect to have the stop light lit with suspension on it highest setting, this usualy means low on fluid,
first thing to check is fluid level, with car parked on level ground,suspension on its highest setting (car fully up till it stops rising) now see if the yellow disc in the level indicator is between or above the two red bands, the top disc not the bottom copper one as this is to short out the two contacts at the very bottom of the indicator dome,

also another thing that will put the stop light on is low engine oil

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Malcolm

I'm not arguing about low oil level triggering the Stop light, just seeking better understanding.

I often get the oil level light on briefly when starting the car on a slope. I've also had it come on going up a steep hill when the level was getting a bit low - the "I'm not wasting oil topping it up when I'm going to do a service this week" syndrome.

If the oil level gets very low, but the oil pressure is still OK, does the Stop light then come on as well as the oil level light? Or does the low level light being on for a long time trigger the Stop light?

BTW, like many of the simplest innovations, this Peugeot/Citroen warning light combination is the best I've ever seen - even the thickest/laziest driver has no excuse for wrecking the engine by ignoring (not seeing) a big red "STOP" light.

Anyone know what LHD ones say?

regards

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The amber low oil level light is there to come on when the level drops below the low mark on the dipstick, but there is still enough oil pressure to prevent the STOP light coming on.
Modern oils (especially those that contain synthetic) seem to confuse the low oil level light no end, so remember to check with the dipstick rather than just pouring more oil in!
If the level gets so low that the pressure drops, then the STOP light will come on.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think the hydraulic fluid low level warning lamp is one and the same as the low presure warnning,

and all i meat by what i said was just check the fluid level properly before getting all complicated,

i have seen a full house of warning lamps lightting on a BX once, it turned out to be engine oil low, but a diode had died on the back of the dash panel, which caused all the warnning lamps to come on

regards malcolm