windscreen sealing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomrostron

windscreen sealing

Post by tomrostron »

Hi, my passenger side footwell is damp. i had a quick look at the windscreen in that corner, and noticed the strip that runs the full width of the outside of the screen, at the bottom. has come away, about 2"of it. any suggestions please. tom
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I used a clear silicone gasket sealant that was handy in my toolbox. Just ran a small bead along where the scuttle meets the screen and then smoothed that down so it was practically invisible to the naked eye.

Hopefully that'll cure the leak but don't expect the foam underlay to dry out on it's own in good time, they apparently hold a lot of water while appearing dry to the touch.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the screen wont leak if the rubber fillet is adrift, as that is just a trim and the screen is bonded to directly to the body, the usual point XANTS leak is by water running passed the plastic scutle panel between the bonnet and screen, i belive this is the joint MikeT speeks of

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, the black plastic scuttle trim needs to be firmly attached to the windscreen especially above the heater air intake. Mike's use of silicone is about the best idea but it's wise to carefully remove the whole scuttle panel and apply a good bead, just a bead on the surface may not hold long-term. Also the glass and the trim needs to be spotlessly clean to ensure a good bond.

Most windscreen fitters are unaware of the need to carefully seal this panel.

The fundamental problem is that water runs under the trim and straight into the heater intake and thence under the passenger carpet and wreaks havoc. The carpet sound deadening foam can soak up seemingly gallons. Beware too damage to the electrics in that area from damp.

I've had this problem three times now on three of my cars; the latest in my Activa. Have a look at page 11 of my Blog for a bit more information on this problem.

It is important to have the passenger carpet out to check the state of play underneath. You may be shocked.

You can easily check for water under the carpet by slipping off the door weatherseal and sliding your hand under the carpet. If it comes out wet....

If it is bone dry underneath, you ahve a leak from somewhere else. maybe a leaky heater matrix of a damaged heater plenum drain pipe.

Note my temporary "workaround" to the problem :oops: That's only until the weather improves to the point that it's good enough to do the job.

My carpet is still in the house drying out. It takes ages at this time of the year :roll:

I can offer detailed guidance on removing the interior. I'm very practiced at it now!!! It's not difficult, nor time consuming once you know the tricks. Don't follw the BoL, they make a simple job difficult.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...