Heated rear window connectors repair - help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Heated rear window connectors repair - help

Post by AndersDK »

Having messed around with more or less usefull advices for other peoples cars, it now seems that I myself is stuck in some nasty problems on my '89 BX16TRS [:D][:D][:D]
Now it's the spade connector contacts on the heated rear window that are pulling my hairs. Usually I succeeded to resolder these contacts using the (expensive) Locktite solder paste (supplied in tiny dispenser tubes) especially for this purpose.
Note : I'm positively using the solder paste - NOT the heat track repair paint (which is equally expensive).
This time - even after several tries - it does'nt work. The connector will not stay on - even after several tries following the Locktite procedure STRICTLY.
Anyone encountered differences in the heat track material composite betwen different years/models [?]
On this BX the heat tracks looks like alufoil - and it seems that some tiny spots will solder using special Alu-solder-resin - but these spots are by far not large enough to carry/solder the connector.
I've tried my good old wide-flat-tip 75W solder iron, 1KW/2KW heat air gun, 100W (quick) solder gun. I've tried with the window glass so hot that it's untouchable and the solder resin is melting by touch. I ca'nt give it more heat since I'm sure the glass will fray [:0]
Help/opinions appreciated [:X][8)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Anders, is there not a supply of cheap used parts over there, people can't give their old BX's away over here.
Can't offer any usefull advice for a fix unfortunately, once these type of things start to go daft there isn't much that you can do to keep them working reliably, another screen would probably be cheaper than the loctite product to repair it over here[:)]
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ok Dave - got your point [^]
It's just that this is the 3'rd time I'm doing such a repair (NOT on the same car - that is).
The previous 2 times were on 2 different BX'es - no problem - worked a treat - much faster & easier than replacing the boot door.
I DO have about 5 complete spare boot doors in different colours on stock - but the 2 White painted spares (like my present running BX) both have the same problem [V]
-eeerrh - maybe it's the colour that's the problem [8D]
YES - now I see......[:)][:)][:)]