A couple of questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

A couple of questions

Post by Bren »

My Xantia estate has those clear protectors where the wheelarch meets the sill - are they a good idea? My arches are not rusty but it looks like a possible place where corrosion could start? Should I remove them?

My second question is not citroen related, but somebody on here may know. My fathers 99 Mondeo TD has been diagnosed with a faulty advance solenoid, the engine is smoking considerably when running, and its getting more difficult to start. What is its purpose? Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy new year.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Either the plastic protectors should well and truly seal off or they should have adequate cearance to vent out moisture.
They are meant to shield against the spray from the wheels.

The TD in question sounds like it needs a general all over tune up.
Could be in need of new glowplugs and a fine tuning of the diesel pump timing.
The advance solonoid is used for cold starting, as earlier (advanced) fuel injection makes the diesel engine easier to start and a bit less reluctant to stall when it is cold.
But it does not help much, if the glowplugs are non funtional as these helps the fuel ignite in the (initially) cold engine.

If the solonoid does not work the engine becomes a difficult starter the colder mornings we get, eventually ending up as a non-starter on really frosty mornings.

The smoke could however be a symptom the injectors needs a cleaning.
They become carbonised and then the spray pattern is distorted, which makes for weak and incomplete combustion.

So you may as well have 2 major problems.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is generally used for pottering around town, probably the simplest and cheapest thing to do first is give it an Italian tune-up. Can work wonders.

Also check the air filter for clogging/being drenched.

After that the real work can start as Anders has pointed out.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Yep, I agree. Try the simple cheap 'fixes' first. Anders' explanation of an advance solenoid's function is spot on. As he says, it has nothing to do with smoking in normal use.

Check air cleaner, dose the fuel tank with Diesel Injector (Fuel System) Cleaner then an Italian tune-up. No need to rev the nuts off it, just get the engine hot then make REALLY work hard for a few (hundred) miles. Any nice big hills in your Dad's area?

Has it ever worked hard? Reason I ask is that maybe it's like a TD Estate I bought from a dealer friend long ago. With only 40k on the clock I was horrified to find it smoked and drank oil. After a couple of weeks of being thrashed between Gloucestershire and Cornwall, the oil consumption was reasonable, no smoke, and it 'went' properly. A 'shopping car' driven gently to save fuel, it had been p/x-ed when the oil consumption and smoke started to cause concern. All it needed was running in!

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)