Xantia Mk2 (2000 year) - side air bag warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-fat-controller

Xantia Mk2 (2000 year) - side air bag warning light

Post by the-fat-controller »

A problem has developed with my 2000 year 2.0 HDi SX Xantia.

On turning the ignition ON, all the normal warning lights on the dash illuminate, then go out in the normal way.

Unfortunately, the warning light for the SIDE AIR BAGS does go out as normal, then about 5 seconds later, it comes back on and stays on until I next turn the ignition off. The light remains lit all the time the ignition is left on, or the engine is running. (The normal air bag light comes on,then after a few seconds goes off and stays off as it should!).

Curious that it originally goes out as normal, as I thought this was the test - indicating everything was normal?

Anyone give me any tips or pointers with solving this - of course the MOT is imminent!!!

Regards,
Lee.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's a dodgy underseat connector, bet on it.

When my airbag module was in "fault mode" (due to lack of front passenger seatage) the light would extinguish, then return after a brief pause.

Note that you need to rectify the fault with ignition off, as in switched right off - not in the accessory position. Unplug the connector and use a "contact cleaner/lubricant" type spray such as Servisol. Reconnect, check the wires are not strained as your seats are slid back and forth and try the ignition again.

DON'T use things like WD-40. It's an electrical issue, not a squeaky padlock. :lol:

Regards, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Mk2 (2000 year) - side air bag warning light

Post by CitroJim »

the-fat-controller wrote: MOT is imminent!!!
I believe Lee, but don't take it as gospel, that it won't fail on this, just raise an advisory.

More than likely the under-seat connector as Adam says. I'm currently running my Activa with a missing passenger seat and its airbag lamp flashes at me for a few minutes before lighting up solidly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Xantia interiors should have been assembled with cam-locks or quarter turn fasteners; they seem to come out that often...

Lee should also be warned that the problem is never actually fixed. It may be resolved for some while, but consider it "dormant". :shock: :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Xantia interiors should have been assembled with cam-locks or quarter turn fasteners; they seem to come out that often...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fifth time for me. Three of those were to dry out after failed windscreen scuttle seals :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I have a similar issue with my SX estate but i get my airbag warning light flashing as well as the side airbag light coming back on.
someone has already once done the cabling under both seats so i'll need to set an hour aside to redo it properly with the soldering iron and hope that gets rid of the airbag light as well.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bxman
My Cars:

air bag light

Post by bxman »

I think that you may find the problem is with the seatbelt pre-tensioner.
On my '96 mk1 I have changed the seats and not yet fitted the Sb pt units.
in order to clear the airbag light the pre-tensioner units are plugged in and sitting under the seats.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

When my airbag module was in "fault mode" (due to lack of front passenger seatage) the light would extinguish, then return after a brief pause.

Note that you need to rectify the fault with ignition off, as in switched right off - not in the accessory position. Unplug the connector and use a "contact cleaner/lubricant" type spray such as Servisol. Reconnect, check the wires are not strained as your seats are slid back and forth and try the ignition again.
My HDi side airbag warning lights up occasionly, and eventually goes out of its own accord. Sometimes this is facilitated by switching the passenger air bag on/off a few times with the key out of the ign.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
the-fat-controller

Thanks for the help!!

Post by the-fat-controller »

Thanks for all the help with this Guys.

Sorry for the delay in posting again, but I've been dealing with a few problems.

The air bag light MUST have been the famous wiring connector under the seat model. I was hoovering out 3 months worth of dog hairs on Saturday and, got involved in moving around all those under seat connectors.

On starting the car up later on that day, the fault has rectified itself - or at least, the light goes out and stays out!!

Moral of the story - if you've got a Xantia, get a sprollie and a Dyson, lol

Thanks again

Regards,
Lee.
NAM
Donor 2024
My Cars:

Airbag warning lights

Post by NAM »

Hi Chaps - I couldn't believe this posting as my Xantia estate - same year (2000) and just about to in for MOT also developed the Side Airbag Warning light. I spent ages last year on rectifying the main Airbag Warning light (postings elsewhere) and was disappointed to see this new light staring at me. Anyway - 24hrs later and the light has gone - MOT due on Tues but it won't fail on this (I know because the car's main aibag warning light was on for at least 2 years and passed MOT's without advisory).

I thought there must be a time limit thing going where any cars still on the road simultaneously develop the same fault but that woudl take too much design expertise!
NEW 50 Shades of Grey C5 Tourer 2016 BlueHDi 2L VTR+
C4 (62) 1.6HDi VTR+ (Feb 2020)
Silver Dream Machine: C4 Hatchback, 1.6 SX HDi (07) (July 2013 - Feb 2020)
C5 Tourer Exclusive 09/2Ltr HDi (Oct 2012-Sept 2021 146K miles
Xantia Estate Mk2 1.8LX V-Reg/2000 173K miles.
co04pow
My Cars:

Post by co04pow »

Hi,

I had this problem and it turned out to be a dry connection on the passage airbag switch ( The one beside the hand brake that you turn with the key).

Popped the gear lever gator out, pushed up the switch and disconnected cleaned and refitted.

No more warning light!

Hope this helps.

Owen
2000 W reg Xantia V6 Exclusive (Green)
1999 V reg Xantia 2.0 HDi Exclusive (Dark Grey)
2000 X reg Xantia 2.0 HDi SX (Dark Grey)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had a side airbag warning, but on Gracie it turned out the nearside ECU had failed (found out via a Lexia session courtesy of CitroJim). Got a replacement off mirafioriman (for £20) as he was scrapping a Xantia, and that sorted that problem out. I had thoroughly checked the connections, and used immense amounts of proper contact cleaner, and that light STILL wouldn't go out!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!