Saxo autobox.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Patt
My Cars:

Saxo autobox.

Post by Patt »

Hi, does anybody know where I can get info. for the 3 speed autobox on my Saxo? Please no silly comments like see the Haynes manual or swap it for a manual...........
I've tried many places but with no success, even Citroen GB.
It has been fitted to peugeuot and renault models too, and is the mb3 type.
Thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

were abouts are you, as i know a very good transmision guy, he is in hastings east sussex, im sure he will answer any questions,

what is the problem you have?????

regards malcolm
Patt
My Cars:

Post by Patt »

Hi thanks for the reply. Malcolm.
I am in nw England and too far from Hastings unfortunately.
I need info to try and understand it but I cannot find a decent shop manual or cd on it.
It is an mb3 and (briefly) it shifted very harshly from 2-3. it refuses to shift up from time to time, and the parking lock is inoperative.
I've improved the first problem by fitting a vacuum modulator (which I do not think it should have had). but it has improved it
Needless to say, expensive diagnoses at a Citroen garage and also an independent transmission place have proved worthless.
Regards,
Patt
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Patt -

Sounds like you are at least a bit into the secrets of autoboxes.
I take it you have already checked the level and quality of the fluid ?

IMHO the smaller variant of auto boxes should not proove too much more complicated than a standard manual box to work out if it works or have internal defects.
I.e. its fairly easy to work out if the up/down shift mechanism is working freely and have no large slack anywhere.

Have you any suspect candidate areas on what seems to be the problem ?
- as this very often is a good lead into correcting the problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure my transmision guy would still talk to you regarding any problem,

are all the cables/linkages free and not sticking

regards malcolm
Patt
My Cars:

Post by Patt »

Hi folks, Yes I've checked all the usual areas, but with this 'box there are no linkages except for the manual valve. All the rest is done electrically,so no adjustments. I do suspect either the ecu (tcu) or the output speed sensor, but after a visit to 2 professional experts and a hefty fee I am no better off.
I feel awkward about asking for expert advice without a visit, Malcolm, as diagnosis is difficult and I am imposing on generosity!
However, I am about to change the oil (when the weather improves) and this may release anything that's sticking.
I really need some info on it though.
Cheers,
Patt.
deian

Post by deian »

Hi,

Yes, an auto box oil change is usually the first port of call. Even if the manufacturer or haynes manual says it may be sealed for life it won't be. There would be a filter to clean/change somewhere too.

Also look for any earth points within the engine bay that could be related to the electronics of the autobox.

Hope that helps.
Patt
My Cars:

Post by Patt »

Hi, yes, checked the electrics, sockets etc.
Thanks,
Patt.