Changing the fuel filter in 2.0 HDI engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Changing the fuel filter in 2.0 HDI engine

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hello, Could anybody shed any light on the way you go about replacing the fuel filter in a HDI engine? The fuel filter canister is made by Bosch. It has 2 quick release fuel supply and return hoses on the top of it, and a metal ring round the lid, which just seems to spin and spin but nothing happens. It has a sort of 'nut' on the top which you can get a adjustable spanner on, but I am worried of breaking the top of the filter housing trying to turn it.

The BOL was absolutely useless at describing this operation, it just said release the securing ring....very useful, so how do you actually release it...I can't seem to find any sensible way of getting the top off.

Please help....I had to give up today as I ran out of light, which has annoyed me no end.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year folks.

Cheers,

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

You need to use a well fitting socket or ring spanner on the hex on the lid. It releases with about a quarter turn. The metal ring has nothing to do with undoing the top. However, there have been previous posts about HDI pump failure after filter changing, and it is therefore recommended that the complete housing is replaced, not changing the cartridge on the car. When you examine the design of the filter housing it is easy to see how debris could fall into the “clean” side when the element is removed.

The key thing is to prevent even microscopic contamination getting into the feed to the HP pump. Swapping the complete filter and housing makes things safer, and is easy since in fact all the connections are quick release, but take great care to avoid any contamination, even lint from tissue or rags.

As an additional safeguard, once the new filter housing is in place, but before reconnecting the feed to the HP pump, the lift pump can be run to flush clean fuel out of the filter, directing the flow into a can via a length of fuel hose. So any contamination on the outlet side of the filter should be harmlessly removed. Then finally connect the pump.

Hope this helps,

Fred
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks very much for the advice. I will look into replacing the unit as a whole then I guess. The last thing I want or need is the high pressure pump expiring on me.

Do you have any idea how much the replacement fuel filter assembly is? would that require a visit to the dealers or would a decent factors be able to supply one?

One last question, how do you go about removing the filter assembly from the engine? How is it attached, and is it straight forward / easy to remove?

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

From GSF, the part no. is N12122 for the assembly. It is also available from Euro Car Parts and others. Current price is about £40, probably more from Cit dealers.

It is clipped on, and lifts off upwards once you have released the catch.

Fred
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Can you really get a Socket/spanner on the top with the TWO feed pipes in the way???

I couldn't on a 1999 W Xantia HDi I had in just before christmas...

Good luck

Rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

Yes, on my 2001 year HDI the hex is right at the top above the pipes - I have just had a look at the one I removed and I think the one currently on the car is the same. The hex is 22mm AF, and you are using it to undo a 90mm quick thread and O ring, so the spanner needs to fit closely on all 6 corners. Of course, if replacing the whole thing, the problem does not arise (until you decide to recondition the old housing).

The latch is right at the back and below the fixing dovetail, but I do not remember any problem in getting in to release it.

Fred
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Iv'e replaced two filters so far on my hdi,At £8 per filter but there are several different ones i see no reason to change the whole housing if your carefull,