Pull to Push type clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Pull to Push type clutch

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Clutch on my Xant2 TD is getting really heavy, with pedal coming up a good way before the bite.
I was wondering what would be involved in getting a push type clutch and fitting that. A far lighter clutch altogether-for its lifetime. Probably need a clutch bearing fork for the push type,but not much else. Flywheel should be the same, with spacing for clutch bolts ok, too. Am I wrong , or am I wrong again, lol. The pull type should be forever cast away, never to be seen again, along with the prat who thought it up. :shock: :( ](*,)
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It should be possible Greg as the non-turbo and SD Xantia used a push clutch. I reckon you might need to swap the flywheel and certainly you'd need to swap the clutch release arm in the bellhousing.

If it will give you what you want though is another matter entirely. I find a good 1.9TD pull clutch is an absolute delight and as light as a feather and not really any harder to swap than a conventional push clutch given all the other issues surrounding a xantia clutch swap :twisted:

My experience with push clutches is that they wear a groove on the tips of the diaphragm springs over time through the release bearing constantly bearing on them. This makes for a jerky, snatchy clutch long before the plate wears out and this is worse to me than a pull clutch getting heavier over time. I've swapped several for this reason and found a good plate each time. That is annoying.

One thing to always do when swapping clutches, be it push or pull, is to always replace the nylon release arm bushes. New ones make a heck of a difference to the lightness and smooth operation of the clutch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...