Stopping Power!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Stopping Power!!

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Regarding brakes on an Xantia.

As there are various different models with different engines, and therefore performance, are there any detailed differences between the models regarding brakes, and the specification fitted, I.E are the calipers, and rotors different, and are brakes on a V6 uprated, compared to the less powerful models?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

There are three types of front discs/calipers, 'standard' as fitted up to TD and 2.0L engines then slightly larger as fitted to Activa's (and IIRC estates and 2.1TD) with the largest being for V6 and HDi 110 BHP. Two versions for the rear, one for saloons and larger ones for estates.

After getting used to the brakes on my HDi or V6 then jumping into either my old Activa or TD you certainly notice a difference :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

So, are there obvious visual differences that one would spot between them, I.E larger caliper with bigger piston, rotor with larger diameter, and thicker rotor, ventilated rotor, or would a tape measure be needed to check the difference?

Also that difference in feel, and "stopping power" sounds like it is a lot!
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Speaking of fronts:

Diameters - 266, 283, 288

Thicknesses are 20.4, 22 and 28 from memory (not 100% on the 266's thickness). At least the larger two sizes are vented discs.

And for the rears:

Wagon is 251 diameter by 12 thick, while the car is 224 diameter by 9 thick. Both types are solid.

Regards, Adam.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi addo :)

Thanks for your reply.

Therefore regarding the more powerful brakes would it be relatively :wink: easy, or worthwile to convert a car with the lesser brakes to the more powerful brakes?
ACTIVA

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

From memory, you can take the caliper bracket off the 288mm disc setup (besides Activas, look for late Exclusives with Hydractive II) and use it with the more common 283mm caliper, and the 288mm pads.

Rears should be just a bolt-on swap of all bits. I've had more adventurous thoughts of trying to get XM brakes on for the five stud hubs, but it seems there would be some crossbreeding required - at least to the fronts. The big win would be fitting C6 wheels. :wink:

Regards, Adam.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Hi addo :)

Thanks for your reply.

Therefore regarding the more powerful brakes would it be relatively :wink: easy, or worthwile to convert a car with the lesser brakes to the more powerful brakes?
I can vouch for "a good choice" keeping the brakes standard. Bought from GSF, i fitted Brembo Max (vented and grooved) front discs and Bendix pads to my 95 TD. It stops amazingly well.

With the grooved front discs it makes a growling sound like ceramic brakes do when you brake down from speed......sounds cool :lol:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Just to complicate thing, my 97 TD has 283mm discs... Generally if it has 15 inch wheels they will be the bigger discs as 1.8 petrols of the same age and spec of mine had 14 inch wheels and smaller discs.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;