My Christmas present to the FCF - Citroen Video Guide no1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

My Christmas present to the FCF - Citroen Video Guide no1

Post by red_dwarfers »

I talked about making a Citroen Video Guide here -
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25427

Well I finally got around to doing the first one a few days ago and just uploaded it to You Tube :D
Editing took a lot longer than I expected :shock:
I did film topping up the LHM and Citrobics and was going to put it all in one video but then decided against it. We can then have an entire video dedicated to each section. I'll get around to editing the last two after Christmas :wink:

So, go on, put me out of my misery, what do you all think of it? :lol:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvLaWTr9yw
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Kev :D

Well done! That is a very good guide indeed :wink:

Your STOP light takes an age to go out between low and normal :o Have you cleaned your filters?

Still, it shows your spheres are all pretty healthy, taking that time to pump up...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Cheers Jim :)
citrojim wrote: Your STOP light takes an age to go out between low and normal :o Have you cleaned your filters?
I thought that was normal :oops:
I will have a look at the filters at some point.

When coming down from high to normal, a bit of lever trickery was involved as I still havn't had chance to properly WD40 my front HC, must get around to that soon.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's not unusual to see a brief appearance of the STOP light Kev, but yours does seem a bit lengthy to me. Mind you, thinking about it, you started up on low, waited for the light to go out and then to normal so under that circumstance, only the accumularor would have been pressurised and moving to normal, all the pressure in the accumulator would rush out to start filling the rest of the spheres. I still would not have expected it to stay on that long though. My activa does briefly on occasions but I cannot recall the 2.1TD doing it at all.

Does the STOP light come on if you drop from high to low and then back up to normal after the car has assumed it's lowest position.

You're right about the early "sinkers" in your video Kev, The pump has a heck of an output. STOP light off in about five seconds and the suspension rises and falls incredibly quickly on the lever. So much so that when I had my first Anti-Sink I thought there was a problem because the suspension took so long to rise from low...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

citrojim wrote:...The pump has a heck of an output. STOP light off in about five seconds and the suspension rises and falls incredibly quickly on the lever....
This makes me curious...Would it be possible to fit an early pump to an Anti-sink? Would it cause problems and would it be beneficial in anyway?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly not Toby :( There are too many other differences in the hydraulic circuits to make it practical to do so. The steering racks are different and you'd have to add an FDV amongst other things.

Also, 7 piston pumps are very rare and not easy to source now. They also have a substantially bigger drive pulley.

There was a thread where this was discussed in detail a long while ago. I'll see if I can dig it out; it may take a time as it was in one of those threads that drifted a bit off-topic and the off-topic bit was why was the 7 piston pump not used on anti-sinks...
Last edited by CitroJim on 25 Dec 2008, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Toby_HDi wrote: This makes me curious...Would it be possible to fit an early pump to an Anti-sink? Would it cause problems and would it be beneficial in anyway?
I know if this was done the FDV would have to be reintroduced, would anything else have to be transferred across?
I presume the only reason it was changed to 6+2 was cost saving and possibly if there was partial failure to the pump you would at least have something working, either the steering or suspension?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

Nice vid mate. How often do you do the citrobics? You said on the vid that it's a good idea to leave the suspension on low when parked for longer than few hours... is this really necessary if you do the citrobics regurally?

BTW, loved the soft sound of an idling diesel engine as a soundtrack. ;)
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Cheers!
Koukku wrote:You said on the vid that it's a good idea to leave the suspension on low when parked for longer than few hours... is this really necessary if you do the citrobics regurally?
I wouldn't say its necessary if Citrobics are done regularly, but its certainly a good habit if you don't.
I tend to do Citrobics every couple of weeks.

Theres a couple of bits I think I might change on the voiceovers such as the long time my stop light takes to go out and the fact my filters probably need cleaning because of this, also might admit the bit about it not being necessary to rev the engine to get it to rise up quicker as it does help a bit :lol:
I'd like to get these videos as accurate as possible so if anyone does have any more suggestions, let me know :D

EDIT: Looks like we posted at the same time earlier on Jim and answered my question too :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Very good video - the sound of your car idling is actually quite soothing!
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i thought your engine sounded a bit clatery, maybe got air in the fuel system, or your running on cooking oil,

also all hydraulic citroens dont have the lever featured in your vid, as some have a slide switch

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

citronut wrote:i thought your engine sounded a bit clatery, maybe got air in the fuel system, or your running on cooking oil,
It generally does run on the cooking oil but its running on near as 90% derv at the moment, interesting insight, I thought they were all a little clattery? Milage would have something to do with it?
citronut wrote:also all hydraulic citroens dont have the lever featured in your vid, as some have a slide switch

regards malcolm
Cheers Malcolm :) I'll change that in the final edit :wink:
What is it that the C5s and C6's have? Buttons of some sort I presume?

Anything else I should change/add for the final edit?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:I thought they were all a little clattery?
It's an old-school diesel Kev so they will sound a tad clattery on idle! Also, the sound recording of a diesel always seems to accentuate the clatteriness in my experience. Something to do with a camcorders poor ability to record the deep bass and emphasis on the treble.

Last time I heard your engine running Kev, it sounded as sweet as a nut :D
Jim

Koukku
My Cars:

Post by Koukku »

red_dwarfers wrote: What is it that the C5s and C6's have? Buttons of some sort I presume?
Yes, C5 has buttons, and I would think that C6 has also.
- V6 Activa / Mini R53 JCW -
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I would like to add in your video you mention Siezed Height correctors.. well as in fact its NEVER useually the height correctors the sieze but the stupid complex control unit that controls the height corrector itself.. theres two swinging levers which one is attached to the Plastic clip you mention and the other to the height corrector... and its actually these arms that seize NOT the height corrector itself...

A very good professional looking video.. what sort / type of camera did you use??

Rgds
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto